photographing a shy subject?

tylerbiss

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
recently i have been asked to shoot for a 3-person local band. I know one of the members quite well and the other two a little. Our first shoot went ok but i am having a lot of trouble photographing one of the members. this member is some what shy and seems to not enjoy taking pictures(which showed in the photograph). he kind of makes me uncomfortable when photographing him. does anybody have any special techniques, they would like to share with me, to lighten up the mood? i think one reason i wasn't satisfied with my first attempt was because i wasn't in complete control. i didn't know exactly how i wanted everything to look or how i wanted it to feel. On another note i had trouble photographing this band at one of their live performances. I was on-stage with them and their was a huge croud. i felt i was envading their personal space when i was trying to get close shots(the stage was very crouded and didn't have much room) I probably payed attention to the huge croud a little to much. I was nervous to get the shots i wanted. Any tips for photographing live performances aswell?

Get an idea for what you want before you press the button. You can't expect people to feel comfortable if you're struggling to get your ideas and views across. Have a word with the other people there and get them to relax him. They know him best so should know what to do. Also tell him that you'll be taking lots of shots so if he's worried about not looking good in any he'll be reasured that some will be good.
Ask him what would make him confortable. It's all you can do I think.
Just keep in mind that some people hate the camera.

This is what id personally suggest.
Its your job, youve been pulled in to do it, and youve gotto do every trick you can to get the shots that THEY want :p
If the guy is worried about you? maybe it is because he doesnt know you, so...let him get to know you.
Be part of the band, be one of the guys! and dont ask them to pose (although this is my idea and how I did my brothers band shot).
With the performance...ask them what is acceptable before hand.
Personally..id like to stay back, with a nice 75 - 300 lens and a tripod, and then get the action from there, otherwise you may put them of?
Btw, I am by no means right, this is just my 0.2 pence :p
Good luck next time, im sure youll have better luck second time round...you know what to expect.

Spend some time talking with them. Talk about anything but the shoot. Let them get to know you, but don't make it about you. Some people will never feel comfortable in front of the camera but if they know you, they'll be more relaxed around you.

You might even take the conversation into the shoot. It doesn't have to be serious and staunchy. Talk while you organize your shots and take the shot when they're ready.

As for perfomance shots. Some of the best shots can be had during the sound check. Everyone's getting ready, doing a few test songs with the lighting. It gives you the chance to get shots from where the crowd will be standing before they start piling in. Even if they aren't singing (just tuning guitars or something), grab a few snaps. You never know what will work and what won't until after.

Most reactions

Back