Photographing Safe and Sane Fireworks

DRGinLBC

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone! I figured this forum might be a great place to post this question. We'll be having a small firework show with the kids at our house this year. We live in the state of California so we only have "safe and sane" fireworks. These are the type that are ground fountains (nothing that goes in the air). I was wondering if someone could help me with the proper camera settings for these types of fireworks. Maybe some hints of good camera placement as well. Here is an example of typical safe/sane firework:

I've taken photos of larger fireworks in the past that are a good distance away from me with great results. Tripod, bulb mode, remote release. They turned out great. I'd like to be able to get some great shots or smaller fireworks that are much closer. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any help would be greatly appreciated! I will also post this in the beginner forum since I didn't know which one should apply.

Camera:
Canon T2i

Lenses:
EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6
EF 50mm f1.4
EF 55-250mm f4.0-5.6 Telephoto

Thank you in advance!

Devin

Last edited by a moderator:
You'd shoot them the same was as the big ones, just closer up (or with a bigger zoom). We do a backyard show at my mother-in-law's farm property (I have a thread around in the General Forum from June 29) that includes some fountains and ground ones (although to be fair I really prefer the unsafe, insane ones), and I used the same settings for both.

Most reactions

Back