PHOTOGRAPHS ARE MADE NOT TAKEN

Photographs, artwork, music etc. have always been what the artist sees and feels. I is not always what the viewer/listened sees and feels.

To paraphrase what the singer/songwriter John Denver said, when he commented on the deep meanings and inspirations people interpreted from his songs; "Sometimes I had no idea what they were talking about".

Nothing new here.

I don't understand the excited, negative responses.
The OP made a statement that might have been controversial 15 years ago but anything at all argumentative about it has been washed away by the flood of technology and experience.
I 'make' pictures virtually all the time because what I 'take' isn't close enough to what I want.

Dogmatic proclamations that rise to the level of sophistry are frequently met with enthusiastically fervent rebuttals. Plagiarized or otherwise un-atttibuted dogmatic statements are often met with open disdain.

The fact that millions of photos are "taken" every day is proof that the OP's "borrowed", dogmatic postulation is in reality in direct opposition to what many of us know to be reality.

Last edited:
And let's not forget that the thread started out as blatant self-promotion, with the second post being a link by the OP to the OP's web site, since edited by a moderator. That makes the OP a spammer and any "opinion" he spews forth, just that: SPEWWW!

(How's THAT for negative? :biggrinangelA:)

Whilst I understand the post 1
Some photos are made as in some of my table top photos, they are set up then captured
Some images are just taken as it’s a moment that in time that is just captured or taken
As for the comments on feelings and memories Looking at a photo can bring back memories and feelings
In the post 1 there is too much generalisation and the comment on development is a bit like a slaps on the face for those who work hard to get their images Sooc and or who have worked hard to set up the shoot.
Re reading and re reading the 1st and 2nd posts the OP seems to be debating the issue from a self serving stand point
I have given and received CC here, like other members when giving CC it’s an opinion
In short OP is entitled to an opinion But please do not make generalised statements
FYI... WORDS in all caps in considered shouting in most text conversations exceptions being abbreviation, terms related to topic and or text short hand

I have taken many photos over the years.

That's probably why I'm not allowed in galleries anymore.

Cameras do not see what we see & cannot record what we feel.

Cameras are merely mechanical devices without a soul.

Cameras can collect information, but their images do not communicate our memories and feelings without development.

A a viewer of an image I don't feel what you did so that's not a valid point. The camera DOES see what you see if you know what you're doing.

A brush is merely a mechanical device but I could argue it's the brush that paints a painting.

If an image is from a camera it will communicate what the scene dictates.

A really broad statement just to say. "I'm an artist!!!!!!!!!!!"

Fine.

You're and artists. Now go create and stop trying to troll on an argument that has NO CORRECT ANSWER!

I have found that intent has a lot to do with photography.

If you just want to take vacation photos to share your adventure with others, nobody is expecting gallery class photos.

If you are shooting a documentary, one might expect great meaning, over technical excellence.

Likewise if you are a landscape or wildlife photographer, trying to acquire awards and accolades for your work; you had better be technically spot on.

If you are trying to make a living as a photographer, you simply need to know how to shoot what sells.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your opinion. In my opinion it just isn't worth expending the energy to define what image making is because everyone has their own definition. So what's your point? Why should anyone care?

I have taken many photos over the years.

That's probably why I'm not allowed in galleries anymore.

John, did you display your work

29706833235_ca2df1767f.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back