Photography and are we really there

mysteryscribe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
retrophotoservice.2ya.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In a thread on this piece of cloth something has been said that should probably be explored. A bit about depression and photography being a help.. I wonder if it doesn't go farther than that even. With a lot of possible ramifications.

Maybe the theroputic value of photography is a two edged sword. The biggest problem with some depression I think is not being able to break the circle that is really a spiral. Photography gets one out of that ME spiral and moves the mind in a differnt direction.

I remember my mother telling about having depression during menopause. We grew up poor in a textile village in the south usa. Her doctor (GP) told her that when she was depressed and felt like murdering her children, to take a drive. The act of manipulting the gears and clutch tended to force her and presumably others to think about things other than there own problems. Now I'm no doctor but the 1950 advice and the parallel between the two mechanical devices is obvious. Okay this isn't my point really.

When we shoot pictures don't we really exist in a different world. You are viewing the scene, you are creating the scene, but are you (in your mind) part of the scene?

Example: I once worked for the local police department as a photographer/evidence collector type person. I have walked through more than one building in the dead of night with a camera(Koni Omega). Even going in with the first officers to make pictures of the apprehension of suspects. More than one of who was armed, but somehow the fear of what I had done was only present after I lowered the camera. While I was shooting the film, I wasn't really in danger, after all I was just observing/ I wasn't really there.

I have heard guys say this mind set isn't there for them, but I have stepped into a hundred holes while making outdoor portraits. Ruined more than one pair of shoes stepping into a creek I never saw ect. Somehow I doubt that I am unique in this.

So am I or is it a tunnel vision that we all share?

I've seen things that would normally get me pretty..."excited" so to speak, but with the camera in hand it never did anything for me.

I'm usually in a different head space when taking pictures. You have to be. Otherwise you'll miss the shot.

Charlie, I like the way you think. :thumbup:

That said, I believe this thread is better suited for the Photographic Discussion forum, so I am gonna whisk it away. :)

I think that photography is an art. If you have ever watched an artist at work you notice they are not really there, they are in thier own world, why would photography be any different? I find that when i am shooting, i really can't consetrate on anything else i am in my own world doing what i love, the same thing happens when i draw, play music, sculpt, or do any other art form.

As for being in and a part of the scene, i find myself not to be. When shooting i don't really feel like i am part of the world i am taking pictures of, i am just a passerby trying to capture the beauty (or hoorror, or whatever).

I'm not sure if that makes any sence, but oh well.

bantor said:
I think that photography is an art. If you have ever watched an artist at work you notice they are not really there, they are in thier own world, why would photography be any different? I find that when i am shooting, i really can't consetrate on anything else i am in my own world doing what i love, the same thing happens when i draw, play music, sculpt, or do any other art form.

As for being in and a part of the scene, i find myself not to be. When shooting i don't really feel like i am part of the world i am taking pictures of, i am just a passerby trying to capture the beauty (or hoorror, or whatever).

I'm not sure if that makes any sence, but oh well.

I am absolutely on board with you on this one .. the place that I find I struggle the most is during family-events (everyone always asks me to bring my camera to EVERY function) and it is in these types of situations I feel estranged from my family and I feel like if I pick my camera up and venture into that realm I am missing out on being a part of the very moment I am attempting to capture. I think I almost go out of my way to try and take 'snapshots' in these situations because I don't have to immerse myself in the photography!

But that may just be me :mrgreen:

errant_star said:
I am absolutely on board with you on this one .. the place that I find I struggle the most is during family-events (everyone always asks me to bring my camera to EVERY function) and it is in these types of situations I feel estranged from my family and I feel like if I pick my camera up and venture into that realm I am missing out on being a part of the very moment I am attempting to capture. I think I almost go out of my way to try and take 'snapshots' in these situations because I don't have to immerse myself in the photography!

But that may just be me :mrgreen:

Very true. It is sometimes hard to draw the line. I bring my camera EVERYWHERE I go, and sometimes in impeads on what i am doing with my friends. I will be out with them and see something cool, and then next thing i know 20 min have passed and my friends are mad at me for some reason. But still I love it.

Interesting thread. Photography, or any art, can a an measure of a person's current attitudes. I tend to get down or slightly depressed my work is much more empty and desolate and without people in it.

When I'm taking pictures I get seperated from reality, big time. Today I was looking through the viewfinder and composing a shot, then a person I know tapped me on the shoulder to tell me something. As I put down the camera it was like turning off a TV, it was a very weird feeling.

However, sometimes photography like street photography decrease the sense of reality, but can increase awarness because you are always looking for a shot.

I'm what's euphemistically termed a 'care giver.' A free hour or two, spent as I wish, is precious time indeed. Immersing myself in making a picture [outdoors with a camera or indoors with an enlarger] takes me away from conscious awareness of the time, but helps me to continue. Other absorbing activities also serve, but only a few have the creative component of photography.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back