Photography and Photoshop books? Help!

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I really want to work on learning more about portraiture, and using photoshop. What do you know/think about these books? And/or are there others I should be looking at? Thanks for the help!

[h=1]http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Photoshop-CS5-Photographers-ebook/dp/B00COLDOPQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1FA0VVPNOFP99&coliid=I36LWNQ6JVMD0H[/h]
Amazon.com: The Adobe Photoshop CS5 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter) eBook: Scott Kelby: Kindle Store

Amazon.com: Light Science and Magic 4/e eBook: Fil Hunter, Paul Fuqua, Steven Biver: Kindle Store

Oh! And I'm relatively new to portraiture, and I only have general knowledge with photoshop ( I have CS5).

Thanks for all the help!
Jake

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Light Science and Magic is good - I've read it a few times, lol. It gets recommended so often here that I finally picked it up - glad I did.

I refer to it often.

+2 on light: Science and Magic.

Photoshop is fairly complex.
A good reference that covers all it's features and functions is Adobe Photoshop CS5 for Photographers: A professional image editor's guide to the creative use of Photoshop for the Macintosh and PC

I recommend this Scott Kelby book for portraiture - Light It, Shoot It, Retouch It: Learn Step by Step How to Go from Empty Studio to Finished Image (Voices That Matter)

In general:
Real World Image Sharpening with Adobe Photoshop, Camera Raw, and Lightroom (2nd Edition)

CS 3, 4, 5, 6 Camera Raw and the Develop module in Lightroom 2, 3, 4, 5 are both ACR so
The Digital Negative: Raw Image Processing in Lightroom, Camera Raw, and Photoshop
The Digital Print: Preparing Images in Lightroom and Photoshop for Printing

There are many good video tutorials online at Adobe TV
Join the National Association of Photoshop Professionals (NAPP) to get other online training and tutorials, access to their member only forum and Photoshop experts, and with all the hardware and software discounts members get you stand a good chance to save more than the yearly membership fee. Photoshop User | A Kelby Media Group site

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Bump!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I have learned photoshop almost only with tutorials on youtube, for me it is much more simple than reading a book that I find complicated. If I would have had the money I would have bought a series of video tutorials, which is the closest thing to have a live teacher.
It is true that it is fairly complex, but if you can start by learning what you really use on a daily basis, and refile your technique gradually!
Good luck!

Any book by Katrin Eissmann is terrific.

I have Masking and Compositing (the older edition is by far better) and the Repairing and Retouching

I have learned photoshop almost only with tutorials on youtube, for me it is much more simple than reading a book that I find complicated. If I would have had the money I would have bought a series of video tutorials, which is the closest thing to have a live teacher.
It is true that it is fairly complex, but if you can start by learning what you really use on a daily basis, and refile your technique gradually!
Good luck!

Yup video tutorials are much better then reading a book. YouTube has a lot of basic ones but I would put money toward a membership with Kelby Training or Lynda.com before I would buy a book on photoshop

Good luck!

Yup video tutorials are much better then reading a book. YouTube has a lot of basic ones but I would put money toward a membership with Kelby Training or Lynda.com before I would buy a book on photoshop

Thanks for the suggestions!

Regards,
Jake

Books for me.

Time is money.

I can grab 1 , 2, or 3 books out of my image editing library, look up what I need in the Index of each and go directly to the page(s) I need to reference, a lot quicker than I can search YouTube and then fast forwarding through some number of videos to find the same information.

I can read faster than I can watch, and I'm hearing impaired which makes watching videos that have been recorded poorly a real chore. A lot of YouTube videos are recorded poorly and their CC feature is a joke.

Books for me.

Time is money.

I can grab 1 , 2, or 3 books out of my image editing library, look up what I need in the Index of each and go directly to the page(s) I need to reference, a lot quicker than I can search YouTube and then fast forwarding through some number of videos to find the same information.

I can read faster than I can watch, and I'm hearing impaired which makes watching videos that have been recorded poorly a real chore. A lot of YouTube videos are recorded poorly and their CC feature is a joke.

Makes sense.

Regards,
Jake

Most reactions

Back