Photography and the Law

I actually had an NYPD officer, stationed at the Holland Tunnel, pull me aside and hostily harass me because I made a photo (out of my stationary car window) of the Holland Tunnel. He proceeded to tell me that photographing the tunnel had been ruled illegal (as well as many other structures and buildings throughout NYC) since 9-1-1. It was hard not to laugh or let my frustration show. I simply pretended to delete the images upon his request and then played dumb and drove on. It's a crying shame that such ridiculous and erroneous laws are being used to bully photographers. It has become such commonplace that I have long since resigned myself to protest - I simply choose my battles, which are far and few in between these days.

Toronto Wedding Photographer

Apologies for my first post digging up an old thread, but: I believe there are signs for the tunnel and many other access points to Manhattan that indicate photography is prohibited. They are quite small and placed in obscure places. They are about the size of a sheet of paper--very easy to miss.

Honking the horn is also prohibited in the tunnel. :sexywink:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back