What's new

Photography books

avilamillar

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 1, 2009
Messages
194
Reaction score
0
Location
Cambridge, MN
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, i own this books:

Understanding Exposure
Understanding Close-up photography
Understanding Shutter speed


all by Bryan peterson, and i want to buy:

Understanding photography

Learning to see creatively
Beyond portriture
The digital photography book 1,2 & 3
Lightroom 2 book not sure if the one by Scott Kelby , Nathaniel Coalson or Martin Evening

Here are my questions: do you think the books im planing to buy are good books? should i add other book? and which lightroom book should i buy?

Thank you
 
Last edited:
looks like some great books there. one I would add is David Busch's "Quick Snap Guide to Lighting" its a great book (with lots of diagrams) for once you get into off camera lighting.

I wouldn't buy a lightroom book.. the best learning resource I've seen for lightroom is the Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Killer Tips podcast.. its so crazy useful.
 
looks like some great books there. one I would add is David Busch's "Quick Snap Guide to Lighting" its a great book (with lots of diagrams) for once you get into off camera lighting.

Thanks, seems to be an interesting book.

I wouldn't buy a lightroom book.. the best learning resource I've seen for lightroom is the Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Killer Tips podcast.. its so crazy useful.

Ill see it thanks
 
I would actually recommend a Lightroom book.
While I do really like Matt K. and his Lightroom Killer Tips, they are just that...tips.

A good book should lay it all out and go through all the basics. I think it's a much better start than just getting some tips.
I've read 'Inside Lightroom 2' by Richard Earney, it was pretty good.

Also, there are tons of good tutorials and tips on various sites.
Adobe Creative Suite Tutorials, Reviews and Resources for Photographers, Designers, Illustrators and Developers | Layers Magazine
http://tv.adobe.com/#
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Killer Tips
The weekly Photoshop TV show featuring "The Photoshop Guys" Scott Kelby, Dave Cross and Matt Kloskowski. Presented by the National Association of Photoshop Professionals (NAPP). | Photoshop User TV
Inside Lightroom
 
I've read 'Inside Lightroom 2' by Richard Earney, it was pretty good.

Do you think this book would be better for me(beginner) than any of the ones i put before? i have just get lightroom 2 and now i only change exposure, clarity, saturation etc. and I want to learn how to use all the other tools.

Also, there are tons of good tutorials and tips on various sites.

Thanks I appreciate it :)
 
I haven't read all those books...so I can't comment on which is better. Sorry :)
 
The Lightroom 2 book by Scott Kelby should be pretty good...some folk refer to him as "Mr Photo Shop".
 
I really like Scott Kelby, although I haven't read any of his books yet. From what I can tell, his style makes it pretty easy to learn and understand, but a lot of it is like one tip after another. So you learn the tips....but you may not learn the theory behind what you are doing. I guess it just depends what learning styles you like best.
 
I haven't read any of his books too but i have some in my list, i have only read some of Bryan peterson and i love them.

And for the lightroom book im between Scott Kelby and Nathaniel Coalson, i have heard very very good reviews of both but im not sure which one yet.
 
Instead of buying the books, you might want to check out your local library. In my area even though the library is small I can request a certain book, they will search other libraries and when it becomes available, I go and pick it up. This saves me $$$ big time.
 
Instead of buying the books, you might want to check out your local library. In my area even though the library is small I can request a certain book, they will search other libraries and when it becomes available, I go and pick it up. This saves me $$$ big time.


I have tried that without success :(

As a composition book, you might consider "The Photographer's Eye" by Michael Freeman

I was going to ask if someone recommend me that book hehehe :P

Thanks
 
As a composition book, you might consider "The Photographer's Eye" by Michael Freeman

I was going to ask if someone recommend me that book hehehe :P

Thanks


I think it's outstanding. It's easy to read and follow ... and makes alot of sense. It's not a technical book -- it's about the art of photography.
 
I think it's outstanding. It's easy to read and follow ... and makes alot of sense. It's not a technical book -- it's about the art of photography.

Thanks, good to hear you like it, im going to add it to my list :) should i buy this instead of learning how to see creatively?
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom