Photography Class

MTVision

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I started my photography class Wednesday night! My professor Michelle Saffran is a photography and has been doing it her whole life. She teaches photography at the college and at the community arts department. I really like how she is already introducing us to some amazing photographers (Robert and Shana Parkeharrison/Vivian Maier) and touching on some of the ethical issues (photo manipulation, street photography, etc.) She does seem to know her stuff which is always a plus.

So, really excited about the professor and the knowledge she brings to the table. Not too excited about my fellow classmates. 80% of them are first year/semester students who are taking this class because its EASY and it fills a requirement. 10% like taking pictures. The final 10% own DSLR's and enjoy all aspects of photography. I kind of wish more of the students were taking this class because they love photography but it is what it is. Guess we will see how the critiquing goes.

Oh yeah the photo lab, also known as the MAC lab, is AMAZING! All the Macs have Photoshop CS5 and we have access to it anytime school is open! I probably won't take advantage of that though - I live about an hour away. The lab has just gotten a new printer and I have never seen a printer that big! I can't remember the exact size it can print but it can make pretty big prints! We do have to buy our own paper for the printer (odd that they charge lab fees for the ink but not for the paper).

I also wanted to thank everyone on this site - I have learned so much in the month that I have been a member!

This is my professors photography site
Michelle Saffran Photographry

--Megan

Sounds pretty cool!
The lab has just gotten a new printer and I have never seen a printer that big! I can't remember the exact size it can print but it can make pretty big prints! We do have to buy our own paper for the printer (odd that they charge lab fees for the ink but not for the paper).
Probably some type of plotter (expensive). My guess on the paper would be so you can bring your own and use what you want instead of whatever they have on hand, whereas the ink could still be used on pretty much any paper.

Josh -- that makes sense about the paper. I didn't think of it like that!

Investmenttechnology - there are 3 guys to about 20 girls!

Sounds like a great class! The Introduction to Photography class at my university is film-based, which I'm not interested in because I want to use my DSLR!

Sounds like a great class! The Introduction to Photography class at my university is film-based, which I'm not interested in because I want to use my DSLR!
It would still be fun, and I'm sure you would learn a lot too. You can get a 35mm SLR that uses the same lenses as your DSLR for dirt cheap. You could easily spend more on 10-20 rolls film than what a body would cost.

your photography class is very nice. photography class is very intersting class that day my loveable day i study in photography class. The used in own photos very useful in many concept the photography class. i have needed one help any photography class u known tel me.

This is not unusual for a class, I would strongly recommend you pay little attention to your classmates (other than being polite) and focus on your goals and work.

From the instructors point of view (which I am) she will probably be delighted to have someone in the class who really is interested in photography, and she WILL KNOW.

Most reactions

Back