Photography Enthusiast Survey (Opinions Wanted)

richardp110701

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am looking to have a venue in my local area for photography enthusiast and would like to know if there were such a place in your area; what events, experiences, attractions, items would bring a photographer enthusiast to a venue, repeat visits, and attract new photography enthusiasts.

Here are some examples that has crossed my mind:

-Coffee shop where like minded people can mingle and share their own work (Like a book club but a photography club)

-Workshop events like photography processes using processes like caffenol or selenium toning for example.

-Workshops events on photography itself, basic 101 of photography or advanced photography

-State of the art picture printers for digital photos

-Dark rooms for self development of film

-Photography store of items from equipment to picture frames and everything in between

If a venue had 1 or more of these examples would you come and continue to come?

What other events, items, experiences would you recommend or what would compel you to visit a venue tailored to photography enthusiasts?

Thank you for your feedback and is greatly appreciated.

I am looking to have a venue in my local area for photography enthusiast and would like to know if there were such a place in your area; what events, experiences, attractions, items would bring a photographer enthusiast to a venue, repeat visits, and attract new photography enthusiasts.

Here are some examples that has crossed my mind:

-Coffee shop where like minded people can mingle and share their own work (Like a book club but a photography club)

-Workshop events like photography processes using processes like caffenol or selenium toning for example.

-Workshops events on photography itself, basic 101 of photography or advanced photography

-State of the art picture printers for digital photos

-Dark rooms for self development of film

-Photography store of items from equipment to picture frames and everything in between

If a venue had 1 or more of these examples would you come and continue to come?

What other events, items, experiences would you recommend or what would compel you to visit a venue tailored to photography enthusiasts?

Thank you for your feedback and is greatly appreciated.
Sounds like you're talking about a camera club.
Due to Covid-19 I wouldn't recommend it!

Maybe. COVID aside, I'd personally be interested in studio space, both for photography as well as drawing & painting. Lights would need to be available, and possibly props. Workshops in studio lighting and portraiture would interest me, as I don't do portraits but would like to learn.

I'd need to know the monthly dues, and the number and capacity of the facilities. Darkrooms can build for multiple people. The one I used at UMD had 10 enlargers on the B&W side and three on the color side. Five could easily use the open area for film developing. But if there are 20 people trying to get one of five or six studio reservations on Saturday, it can be frustrating.

There are a couple of these in the DC-Baltimore area, though I haven't used any of them. Lazy_lobster (my youngest) has used a digital printing studio a few times.

I would be interested in joining a camera club where I could mingle with other hobbyists (if such a thing will ever be possible again) attend presentations on photo-related topics for various skill levels, participate in group shoots, workshops, etc. Membership fees would be a consideration. I don’t know that I would use a darkroom but maybe studio space. Although, supporting all that seems costly.

I used to be a member of a group I found on MeetUp.com. We used to get together occasionally at a coffee shop and discuss our latest outings. One guy good pity and mentorEd me for a while. It really helped me develop.

As others mentioned, there are many variants among these groups. Straight-up camera clubs are the most formal with elected executives, annual dues, by-laws, bank accounts, rented meeting spaces, schedules, speakers, competitions, workshops, outings, etc. The ancient Toronto Camera Club even owns its own building! They don't grow overnight.

Less formal groups are probably a good first step, mainly to measure interest in your area. Unless you're willing to provide a meeting venue, coffee shops/bars are problematic now due to pandemic restrictions in many areas. I'd also be aware that offering access to equipment can be a PITA since it involves fees and expenses covered by users.

I've belonged to various camera clubs and "Meet-up" groups around Toronto for 20+ years and eventually parted company with all of them. Why? Established clubs usually suffer from a "newly-wed/nearly-dead" member demographic. They're often inflexible and vulnerable to monotonous, repetitive subject interests(i.e., nature, birds, flowers, landscapes, travel). Can be very clannish and hierarchical. Online Meet-ups were usually disappointing, whether from no-shows or creeps who showed up looking for free studio sessions with naked girls(seriously!).

Personally, I've lucked out and connected with a couple guys in Toronto who simply like early Sunday photowalks around downtown Toronto. Breakfast and coffee pitstops. We're from totally different backrounds and age groups but just enjoy hanging out. Chemistry matters. The pandemic has screwed things up but we're in touch, share pix, and happily plot post-Covid-19 adventures.

Point is, try something and build on what works.

Last edited:
I think having photo trips as a group would be great... charter a boat and go out on the bay at dusk to take sun sets or city lights reflecting off the surface of the bay. Astrophotography, wildlife or zoo trips, go to a raceway and take some shots panning speeding cars...

Studio space with pro lighting would be great. Large format printers to use for low cost also great. Maybe a equipment consignment sales space for locals/members to buy, sell trade, etc.

Some type of co-op/membership, not necessarily a club per se.

I think having photo trips as a group would be great... charter a boat and go out on the bay at dusk to take sun sets or city lights reflecting off the surface of the bay. Astrophotography, wildlife or zoo trips, go to a raceway and take some shots panning speeding cars...
As a Working Wildlife Photographer , I would say no to that suggestion- a group will not get close enough to wildlife - it takes a certain skill involving stealth and camo and a good knowledge of habitat

Zoo's are a good idea, the subjects can't fly or run away

Les :)

As a Working Wildlife Photographer , I would say no to that suggestion- a group will not get close enough to wildlife - it takes a certain skill involving stealth and camo and a good knowledge of habitat

Zoo's are a good idea, the subjects can't fly or run away

Les :)
whale watching cruise, or I know near where I live we have a bat habitat zone which becames really active around dusk. I agree out on safari may be another thing... also these trips should be for new/novice/learning photogrpahers... pros may be used to teach the class/outing but I think this group may be used to encourage more people to take up photography.

👋 Darren

Most reactions

New Topics

Back