Photography guides?

NPatel18

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello, I decided instead of asking many more simple to answer questions and annoy many of the members on here by them, I would ask if there's a good photography guide book that hits on all the basics (ISO, lenses, etc.), including macro and wildlife photography (since the main thing I want to photograph is insects, plants/flowers and wildlife). I don't have a camera yet as I'm planning to buy one later on in the year and still thinking if I should get a Nikon (D3100 or another) or Canon T3i. So yea, if someone can, that would be great! Not too expensive please! (Or it could be an online comprehensive guide but I'd like a hard copy as well)

I don't know if you will find a book that covers everything you want. I've seen some photography books that do touch on many different topics, but they are usually just tidbits of information, rather than good, in-depth knowledge.

Hello, I decided instead of asking many more simple to answer questions and annoy many of the members on here by them,
It's very likely that all the questions you might have, have been asked (and answered) on the forum already. So become familiar with the search function. And of course, the internet gives you access to all the information you need...you just need to know how to find it.

I'd suggest that you start your searching and reading on the topic of "Exposure". Learn about "Shutter Speed", "Aperture" and "ISO".
Once you learn those basics, you can apply that knowledge to any type of photography.

Hello, I decided instead of asking many more simple to answer questions and annoy many of the members on here by them, I would ask if there's a good photography guide book that hits on all the basics (ISO, lenses, etc.), including macro and wildlife photography (since the main thing I want to photograph is insects, plants/flowers and wildlife). I don't have a camera yet as I'm planning to buy one later on in the year and still thinking if I should get a Nikon (D3100 or another) or Canon T3i. So yea, if someone can, that would be great! Not too expensive please! (Or it could be an online comprehensive guide but I'd like a hard copy as well)
Not a book, but a place to get a start - Digital Photography Tutorials

Check out the Karl Taylor's basic guide (just the basic one, other ones cover a really special techniques you don't need). It is 1 hour 30 mins long and when I finished watching it I had a really solid (beginner-wise) understanding of how the light works, types of light, shutter speed, aperture, iso, composition, types of lenses, and many more. It's really that good - DSLR Photography Courses And Photography Tips by Karl Taylor (or .co.uk - not sure now)

I think to enjoy photography you need to find some success, and to do that you need some control over exposure. So I think "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson is a good start. Also take a look at Sekonic's webinars. Photography is about light, controlling it, and rendering it in print or on screen. If you had the best advice for shooting insects but didn't know anything about light or exposure, you'd still be frustrated.

The thing preventing most people from having success with exposure, ironically, is the camera's built-in meter. It too often gets in the way of understanding metering and exposure, not only because it's automated but because it's reflective. Great photography has always been about the photographer's decisions, not the camera's, and I think automatic evaluative metering tends to step in the way of beginners, taking control away from them. The best tool for me has been the Sekonic light meter. It doesn't matter how you arrive at a good exposure, as long as you like the method.

The D3100 is a good choice. If you've mastered the fundamentals, no camera can get in the way of a good photo. If you haven't, no camera can help. This is why I always recommend entry-level gear to beginners. Worry about upgrading the camera when you outgrow it, not in advance or in anticipation of outgrowing it. Getting the most out of gear takes learning and work. It doesn't automatically happen with time. If you never learned or progressed, you would never get the most out of the D3100 no matter how long you owned it. More advanced cameras will be around when you're ready to upgrade. There's no need to get into a tech grab fest now.

I speak from experience. I once believed equipment was the answer to better photography. Then I saw the light.

Thanks for the help everyone! I decided to read the D3100 manual online and also other sites you all have mentioned. And a recommendation made by another user, I will be getting the book Understanding Exposure 3rd Edition by Bryan Peterson. Thanks for the help everyone!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back