Photography Qualifications...

Ben MacDow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I'm a beginner. My composition is good, and I have a good understanding of the main elements of photography and controls on my camera. I currently use an entry level DSLR (Canon 400D) but looking to upgrade this year. I am completely self taught and just love photography and want to improve to professional level.

My passion is in street photography and candid portraiture, either individuals or at events, especially natural light. In the next couple of years I would like to see if I can move towards a career in photography, probably in portraiture in studio and events.

My plan this year is to join the local photo clubs, submit some pictures online for feedback, do some 1-2-1 workshops with photographers, start identifying my personal style and building a portfolio, and get some experience any way I can.

On some forums people slate photography courses, however I can see their value as I would like to ensure I have the basics down, and would also like guidance in appreciation of the artform and industry.

So... can anyone recommend a course and qualification? I'm happy to study online or part-time in person.

Many thanks in advance.

Ben

A few thoughts:

1) Courses can be helpful - they put a structure to learning and good ones will cover a wide range of ground. You might well find that there are some key areas where you've overlooked them or been nearly unaware that they existed. Self teaching can take you a very long way; but its a skill unto itself that not everyone has - good tuition can work wonders.

2) Get an idea of what you want from any teaching and then choose wisely. Research the group you want ot study with - make sure it gets good reviews in the areas you want to learn. Also quizz those running the course - make darn sure that they are going to off you want you want and what you expect (don't just assume - ASK them). This lets you pick the right course.

3) I would not pay for any non-theory based teaching via the internet. In my view if you're learning a hands-on-skill then you want the teacher there with you to give hands-on-help.
Online can be a great way to learn theory - to learn book stuff. But its not a good way to be taught hands-on. Because you're basically paying for critique after the event - and you can get crits on most good photo sites (granted you have to hunt a little but you can get it free without much trouble).

4) Check my signature for critique getting advice.

5) Qualifications are not worth much in photography. People hire you based on what you show - which is your photos. It's also based upon your business skills (which thus includes marketing yourself). Many often advise that if you want to get into business then you want to study that not study the skill - the skill is important but when running a business then the whole other half (if not more) is business skills not craft skills (this is why you get a great many fantastically skilled craftsworkers who have very tiny businesses).

5b) Point 5 also highlights why ensuring that the course has the right content and the right depth of content is important - because the value you walk away with is knowledge and understanding not the grade.

Each person learns best in a certain way, some visually, some listening to lectures and some from books. There are a number of book series and courses that are good and some folks will give you some details shortly I'm sure. Personally I liked to read and books by Scott Kelby fit my learning style and keep my interest. I also watch a lot of videos on the internet.

I suggest community college and/or local photography groups. Find a mentor, self-critique and be your worst critic. Shoot, shoot, shoot, critique, critique, critique ... delete, delete, delete. Repeat.

I'm getting good at the self-criticism and deletion, deletion, deletion part...

Most reactions

Back