Photography Show Coming Up...C&C please?

Twinney

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
1)
Marko003.jpg

2)
Marko039.jpg

3)
Marko038-1.jpg

With this one, I was thinking the pheasant pen, and the lowering corn in the background wasn't all that great...maybe not use it?

4)
Marko039.jpg

5)
004-10.jpg

6)
025.jpg

7)
030-1.jpg

8)
009-4.jpg

Sorry about the large amount of pictures....this is just what I've narrowed it down to.

Looks like you have the rule of thirds down, now try shooting in better light, try early morning or late afternoon.

Is that a real bird in your dogs mouth? :confused:

I would also say try working on the lighting - in some pictures it's too bright and in others too dark - you could always fidget with this PP but it is possible to do it without PP if you experiment with the time of day you are shooting xxx

I agree with the bad lighting. You really got to pay attention to where your shooting and at what time your shooting. Try shooting later in the day closer to sundown when the sun is lower and casting good shadows and a warmer light. Its pretty hard to do nature shots hell any shots in mid day without any shade. Also, some look kind of blurry to me.

80% of the photography battle is learning how to work with light. Composition can be picked up pretty easily for most people. But learning how to work with light can take years. Even if it's explained to you, the variables vary so wildly from setting to setting that it just takes lots of experience to get it down.

For these pics, I would say 2, 3, 4 and to an extent 5 suffer from harsh mid-day sun washout. One of the things I was surprised to learn is that taking pictures on a bright sunny day yields pretty crappy results most of the time - until you learn how to work with light. Yes, you must counter the mid-day sun with either a flash or even using a big defuser and reflectors. For dog shots, a defuser and reflector probably isn't going to work, so you're going to need to use a fairly close-up shot coupled with a flash.

Example:

My son in mid-day sun with no flash.
550397281_TKVfi-M.jpg

My son a few moments later with a flash.
550389548_uZGbK-M.jpg

Note the difference? See how the colors are more vibrant not only on my son (eyes and skin) but also notice how the background pops also. The washed out look is gone.

With #1, you have the rule of thirds down but you've placed the geese on the left side of the frame. I would have placed them on the right side. It looks more natural if the open part of the shot is on the side the subject is facing. The geese appear to be walking / facing left. Therefore, you should frame it so that the geese are on the right with the open part of the frame to the left.

#1 - Don't care for the position of the geese in the frame. Should fill the frame a little more. B&W conversion seems flat.

#2 to #5 - Shot during the wrong time of day...harsh light, harsh shadows.

#6 - Might want to crop in tighter so that you get rid of the distracting elements in the frame.

#7 - Should be on the right side of the frame. Looks underexposed and colors could be more vibrant...seems lifeless.

#8 - Good placement in the frame but needs more DOF and the colors could be brighter.

The only one i like is the the flower shot. the others feel like snapshots and i agree are washed out.

The only one I really like is 3. I think the colors and composition are best in that one. I agree with the lighting though.

Mark

Most reactions

Back