Photos for C&C

NebraskaNewGirl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been doing my best to take all of the advice I have gotten from you all here and apply it to my current photos. Since I do not have any kids running around to practice on, I get to try stuff out on my very active 1 year old Morkie. I have been focusing on WB, composition, exposure and focus. These were taken in RAW at f5.6 1/30. Thoughts?

IMG_0396w.jpg

IMG_0401w.jpg

Turn the camera 90° to the portrait orientation whenever a subject is taller than it is wide, like people's and dog's faces.

White balance, exposure and focus look ok on these.

Watch your backgrounds for distracting shapes and colors.

Single light sources are OK, but light from more than 1 direction adds some drama and tension and generally makes a photo more compelling.

Turn the camera 90° to the portrait orientation whenever a subject is taller than it is wide, like people's and dog's faces.

White balance, exposure and focus look ok on these.

Watch your backgrounds for distracting shapes and colors.

Single light sources are OK, but light from more than 1 direction adds some drama and tension and generally makes a photo more compelling.

Thanks. I will try to remember that.

I tend to find the over exposing the shot a little adds to the photo, making it brighter and welcoming. It also sets the mood for the specific photo. Also watch the background as to not shoot a distracting background, if it is something you cannot avoid then use a wider aperture, allowing some bokeh.

Bokeh is not adjustable. Changing the lens aperture would change the depth-of-field (DoF).

DoF is also managed by choosing the lens focal length, the focus point distance, the focus point to background distance, as well as choosing the lens aperture.

Bokeh is not adjustable. Changing the lens aperture would change the depth-of-field (DoF).

DoF is also managed by choosing the lens focal length, the focus point distance, the focus point to background distance, as well as choosing the lens aperture.

I know, I learned that in my class this week. :) I was just shooting with my kit lens while my pup was in my lap. Didn't have much of a focus distance to work with and the lens was set at around 20mm, so I wasn't able to create much of a DoF.

Last edited:
Due to the distracting red lamp in the background, would it have been better to desaturate them and leave them black/white or sepia?

I know, I learned that in my class this week. :) I was just shooting with my kit lens while my pup was in my lap. Didn't have much of a focus distance to work with and the lens was set at around 20mm, so I wasn't able to create much of DoF.
I think you mean create a lack of DOF...

Due to the distracting red lamp in the background, would it have been better to desaturate them and leave them black/white or sepia?

If the red lamp, or any bright color object, distracts, one could just selectively reduce the brightness of that item.

img0396wlllllllllllll.jpg

If the red lamp, or any bright color object, distracts, one could just selectively reduce the brightness of that item.
img0396wlllllllllllll.jpg
Doh, of course. Thanks! :). I'm learning to not only have my eye out for things while taking the picture but also in post edit. Thanks again.

Most reactions

Back