What's new

Photos from my first week as a Photographer!

Joined
Sep 25, 2012
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Location
Atlanta
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all!
These are just some of the pictures I felt most proud of after about a week and a half of trying hard to get good pictures, and not just taking snapshots; I've put more meaning behind them I feel. Most all are photoshop edited with techniques I have learned on YouTube. Please leave any and all feedback! I want to become a better photographer in the end!
*all taken with a Nikon D3000 / Nikkor 55-200mm 4.6 DX. I'm also 14*

$Garden Gnome.webp$DSC_0061.webp$CLA_0002.webp$CLA_0017.webp$CLA_0024.webp$CLA_0046.webp$CLA_0198.webp$CLA_0199.webp$CLA_0046.webp$CLA_0024.webp
 
Not bad for a week of trying. I would say work on your composition, you are usually putting your subject in the middle and that rarely works for a good composition. Also keep in mind that power line always ruin sunset photos.
 
Good advice there, but I would also add, since you are just beginning, in the future submit only one or two of your best. Too many at one time is too overhelming for critquing.
I would say out of this group, your water sunset would be the best, but for me sunsets are tough. They are a dime a dozen. There needs to really be a WOW factor for it to stand out from the rest.

Welcome and keep shooting. There's a lot good folks here to help you.
 
Thank you. I am actually just noticing with all these that I paid no attention to the rule of thirds... woops. And with the power line in the way, I took that during a road trip from the front seat of my mom's car :|, didn't have much time.
 
The bike strikes me as far and away the best thing here. The rest are interesting experiments and exercises, for the most part, and not badly done at that.

The bike, though, is actually Good. Not, I think, Great. It might be underexposed, but then the dimness is part of what makes it cook. You've got good near/far stuff going on, with visually interesting stuff that isn't so interesting that it distracts from the subject. The curves in the bike's wheel are echoed in the foreground. The basket on the bike with the sprig of greenery connects the bike to the scene, visually. Centered up seems to work for me, a little bit to my surprise. The path leads neatly from the foreground to the bike, and there's enough symmetry in the frame to make it work, I think.

The bike without a rider is a medium-strong symbol which we see a fair bit of, because it works. It suggests a rider, who is not present, and that in turn suggests a narrative, which we have to guess at.
 
I like the bike shot. My only comment would be that it could do with a touch more light. It seems a wee bit under exposed. Keeps shooting, shooting and more shooting. Really the only way to get better.
 
Also consider your presentation. A bit of separation of the photos helps display them as individual photos so they don't compete with each other.
 
Not bad for your first efforts. The bike shot is really the only one that "works" for me. Perhaps because it comes closest to nailing proper exposure from my viewpoint. Also, the rest of the pictures seem to lack visual "pop". I'm not gonna be too hard on you cause you need encouragement, not criticism. And I remember, about a hundred years ago it seems, when I got my first decent camera I thought everything I saw was a great photo waiting for me to snap it. The truth is that not everything that seems interesting at the time will translate into a "good" photograph that someone else will find interesting as well. Like Rick said, sunsets are a dime a dozen; there's one on the horizon every evening and they aren't always worth the effort. But, you need to learn the way to shoot them as part of the learning process. gnomes, soda bottles and toy cars just leave me wondering "why'?
You're gonna take thousands of pictures during your lifetime. Learn a little bit each time you trip the shutter. Great shots will be your reward for patience and study.
 
Every time you post something take the advice of others and apply it to your next shot .... then watch how much better you get.
 
I actually like the darkness of the bike shot. It makes it seem more dramatic. Nice!
 
Robin ...you just like too many "kitties"
 
14 y/o club!

I would recommend you get tighter with your subject. For the car I would come closer and take on a lower perspective. For the bike you need to get (alot) closer.

Great Week #1!

GW
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom