Photos from the monarch butterfly migration

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was very fortunate to get to see and photograph these monarchs roosting along their migration route. It was amazing seeing a couple hundred butterflies huddling together under the branches of a few pine and birch trees. They were camouflaged surprisingly well. As the sun rose and warmed the trees, they started fluttering around and flapping their wings. Taking little flights up the tree and spreading out. I had hoped to see a mass liftoff but that didn’t happen. They gradually fluttered off a few at a time in search of food. Definitely worth the second pre dawn 40 minute drive. The first time we missed them - that group was gone when we got there. I was thrilled to get a second chance when we heard that another group had landed. Did you know a group of butterflies is called a kaleidoscope?

Monarch Migration by SharonCat..., on Flickr

[Monarch Migration by SharonCat..., on Flickr

What an amazing set!
I have never seen this before and did not know a group of butterflies was called a kaleidoscope.
Thanks. It was amazing to see all of them together like that. Their numbers are down over the past few years so it was good that so many were heading south.

Beautiful!

We get them here too, but the numbers are dwindling. Amazing to see branches alive with butterflies :)

That looks so beautiful, I just want to cry! *sniffle* I'd love to see such a natural phenomenon like this. I never heard of the kaleidoscope term before, either.

The whole set is beautiful, but the second one is so vibrant, it's a standout for me. Great shooting!!

Great shots!!! I've only seen something like that once, and that was years ago.
Thanks - yes it was truly a special experience!

Wow, a lovely set....:encouragement:
Thank you.....

Awesome set!
Thanks!

Beautiful!

We get them here too, but the numbers are dwindling. Amazing to see branches alive with butterflies :)
It was so magical to see! I see that a lot more people around here are planting milk weed to try to help with their population numbers. I planted some and had some caterpillars and lots of monarch activity this year.

Amazing shots! Now you are whispering butterflies ;)
Thanks! I'm sad that all of the hummingbirds and butterflies are gone until Spring! I may have to start feeding the winter birds to have something to take care of lol. All part of my empty nest cliche activities with my one and only off at college!

That looks so beautiful, I just want to cry! *sniffle* I'd love to see such a natural phenomenon like this. I never heard of the kaleidoscope term before, either.

The whole set is beautiful, but the second one is so vibrant, it's a standout for me. Great shooting!!
Thanks Terri! A kaleidoscope of butterflies is so on point but not as fun to say as a charm of hummingbirds!

These are really wonderful. You're gonna need a lot of wall space.

WOW!!
Great shots and an even better experience. How cool for you!!

I was very fortunate to get to see and photograph these monarchs roosting along their migration route. It was amazing seeing a couple hundred butterflies huddling together under the branches of a few pine and birch trees. They were camouflaged surprisingly well. As the sun rose and warmed the trees, they started fluttering around and flapping their wings. Taking little flights up the tree and spreading out. I had hoped to see a mass liftoff but that didn’t happen. They gradually fluttered off a few at a time in search of food. Definitely worth the second pre dawn 40 minute drive. The first time we missed them - that group was gone when we got there. I was thrilled to get a second chance when we heard that another group had landed. Did you know a group of butterflies is called a kaleidoscope?

[Monarch Migration by SharonCat..., on Flickr

wow ..they are awesome..is this a regular migration event,

Stunning photos!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back