Photos of shoes I need as much C&C as I can get Please help !

You need a higher f/stop. If you're shooting with light, there's no reason not to shoot at f/8. While you're at it, put your camera on a tripod. The side of the ankle opening on the shoe is completely out of focus. Put the light/umbrella directly over the shoe, aiming straight down at it, and fire the flash as hard as you need to to get f/8 or so. And get the umbrella as close to the show as possible. Put it just outside of the frame edges.

Hi guys,

So I tried to retake the pictures and with the help of everyone I think they turned out slightly better. I think it has room for a lot more improvement and I would like to know what else I am doing worng.

I shot it this time with a 1/50 and F8 I still feel like the picture is not crisp enough.
Should I try shooting the image in raw format then resizing it? Or would that not make any difference?

Here is the new image I took:
DSC_03071.jpg

you should consider post processing you photos especially if you do this kind of photography. the grayish background is easily corrected in ps

The thing is I don't know how to use PS at all...

If its a few simple steps is it possible if you could please tell me how its done.

THANKS !

Also does ps let you do the same function to a lot of pictures?

I have about 100 pictures of basically the same thing. That was another reason I figured I would avoid ps because I wasn't sure if ps would be able to do that.

actually its entirely possible to get the background to blow out white with one light. I've seen it done with people. Hide the light behind them get the appropriate settings to make the background a few stops brighter than the person and it will appear white. The key to getting them bright is by having 2 white walls on either side and a white ceiling which should bounce light back on the model. Some reflectors may help too. However, I'm not sure how this would translate to shoes, it would be pretty hard to hide the light behind them...

Hi guys,

So I tried to retake the pictures and with the help of everyone I think they turned out slightly better. I think it has room for a lot more improvement and I would like to know what else I am doing worng.

I shot it this time with a 1/50 and F8 I still feel like the picture is not crisp enough.
Should I try shooting the image in raw format then resizing it? Or would that not make any difference?

Here is the new image I took:
DSC_03071.jpg

Yes, it is better. You may want to play with the curve a little bit. Also, do you have a white umbrella that you do shoot thru it? If not, I will suggest build a light tent such as

How to Make An Inexpensive Light Tent - DIY

OR this

Strobist: How To: DIY $10 Macro Photo Studio

Of course, you may need a bigger box since your target is a shoe.

Once that is done, position your flash at top of (above) the light tent.

Thanks for the help! I just had a question about the lightbox if I use it to shoot shoes I will have to use a much bigger box. Do you think I will get the same effects if a bigger box is used?

Thanks for the help! I just had a question about the lightbox if I use it to shoot shoes I will have to use a much bigger box. Do you think I will get the same effects if a bigger box is used?

Yes.

Just need to make sure you flash aim at the top white material of the light tent so that the light can be diffused. (no hot spot) The light you had from the reflective umbrella was not diffused enough to look good.

Do you think there is a better lens than the one I am using for these kinds of shots?

For some reason it still doesnt look as clear as I want it to be. So maybe I thought there would be a better lens for my needs.

thanks

Do you think there is a better lens than the one I am using for these kinds of shots?

For some reason it still doesnt look as clear as I want it to be. So maybe I thought there would be a better lens for my needs.

thanks

I use canon. But from what I read, the Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8 D should be pretty sharp.

yeah im just not sure why all my pictures suck... I think it just might be the setting is not properly set up on my camera. Is there anyway to calibrate the white balance so my bar is centered? The reason why I ask is once I start using the camera the bar is all the way to the right. Ive tried playing around with the settings but I don't know exactly what can be done.
thanks!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back