Photo's on CD for clients? How-to?

The image pixel dimensions and the print resolution (ppi) setting determine a print's size.
Print labs will use an appropriate print resolution, regardless what print resolution is assigned to files put on a disc.
Your main concern needs to be the pixel dimensions of the images on the disc.

Your camera makes photos that un-cropped are 4928 x 3264 pixels. At 240 ppi it will be a print that is 20.55 inches on the long side and 13.6 inches on the short side.
Here is the math - 4928 px / 240 ppi = 20.55 inches. 3264 px / 240 ppi = 13.6 inches.

If you assign a print resolution of 300 ppi the print size gets smaller. 4928 px / 300 ppi = 16.43 inches on the long side and 3264 px / 300 ppi = 10.88 inches.

The other consideration is the print shape, or aspect ratio.
Your D5100 makes photos that have an aspect ratio of 3:2 (4x6, 8x12, 16x24, etc), which is more rectangular than either 5x7 or 8x10.

In other words, to make a 5x7 or an 8x10 from the photos your D5100 makes, some of the image has to be cropped away from the long side of the photo.

AspectRatioChartv2-1.png

Last edited:
You guys here on the forum are awesome. Thanks so much for being so very kind to such a newbie! xoxoxoxox
Wow! A good day. : ) Usually all we get are complaints for being mean to newbies. : P

That is usually after we C&C a newbie's photos! Remember? lol!

You mean after stalking their personal FB pages on Day 1 and providing the link to it, to help hold them up to ridicule and scorn, then after they pull the link down, re-stalking them and providing the link a second time a day later, Right???

oh boy. you threw me for a loop with this one. I am scared of numbers! lol! I just want to make my friend a disc of her pics and make sure she can print pretty much any size she wants. Now simply...how do I do that? Step by step (because I'm a newbie) on how to make these sizing changes in PS would be awesome. If it's TOO much...don't bother, I won't do it. I save my images at full size, so you're telling me, she can't print any size she wants from my full size???

And to everyone else...you are NOT meanies or bullies...no matter what I have been told! NOOOOOOOO I a m just kidding! hahaha! Seriously, I have had nothing but a positive experience here so far and that means a lot. I want to learn and your kindness and helpfulness is appreciated. xoxoxox (okay I'm done being mushy now)

Wow! A good day. : ) Usually all we get are complaints for being mean to newbies. : P

That is usually after we C&C a newbie's photos! Remember? lol!

You mean after stalking their personal FB pages on Day 1 and providing the link to it, to help hold them up to ridicule and scorn, then after they pull the link down, re-stalking them and providing the link a second time a day later, Right???

Well, You really shouldn't be doing those things, Derrel! ;) But hey..if that is your thing! lol!

Most reactions

Back