photos skewed to left?

I wouldnt worry about the extra border coming into play, you can crop the image if it adds something you didnt want. What I'd be most concerned with is when you take a picture of an object that is dead center, and then it suddenly isn't center and it is noticibly not so.

If you're willing to spend a little time finding out what's wrong, then I suggest the following test:

• tape flat a newspaper to a flat wall, Want Ads works best, tape at a height you shoot the camera
  • tripod mount camera, move in closer to the paper so you can capture about 75% of the spread (paper should fill the entire frame)
  • align it perfectly parallel to the newspaper and now look through the viewfinder, place (with a marker) four dots on the paper, corresponding to the four corners of the viewfinder, then draw four lines, connecting the dots; you have created on the paper what the finder can see
  • shoot a couple of shots, noting down which pictures were shot of what (important)
  • now draw a vertical line through one of the pages (with the black marker)
  • move the camera to face that page at an angle of 45 degrees, with the line in the middle of the finder (fill as much of the viewfinder as you can with that page that has the line in the middle)
  • focus well on the line and take a few shots (available light, lens wide open) noting what pictures you took
  • now change the camera to face the same page with a line from the opposite 45 degree angle, place line in middle of finder
  • focus on line, shoot a few more pics in the same manner as above
  • print pictures and observe how much of the frame you can see, how sharp-unsharp zones around the black marker line are (they should be equally sharp near both sides of the line)
That should tell you how much the camera's viewfinder sees and if the lens is well aligned with the sensor (or film plane, for you film lovers).

Good luck.

Most reactions

Back