Photos + Videos Do it all?

molested_cow

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
img24.photobucket.com
Hi all, I think it's time to reconsider my gear set up, so I'd like to seek your suggestions.

I started with photography and my current camera is Nikon D750. The type of shots I do are:

1. Landscape, star trails etc. (20mm F1.8G)
2. I carry it with me on mountain bike rides, those long ass rides into the mountain with 8kg of gear and supply to last me entire day. (24-120mm VR)
3. I run workshops for kids, so I am doing lots of photo documentation with it. (50mm F1.4D)

Then I started venturing into video as well. I use Gopro Hero 7 and the D750 for my video needs:
1. Above mentioned mountain bike rides, including helmet-mounted POV and other perspectives.
2. Above mentioned kids workshops, using both Gopro for wide angle and action videos, as well as using the D750 for more intimate compositions.

Currently, my D750 does great for photography, but lacks resolution for video. It only does 1080p which although looks better than Gopro at the same resolution, it's a bit of a misfit when being put together with Gopro footage at 2.7K resolution. Also, the lack of smooth autofocus and stabilization in video mode is quite limiting in how I can shoot. I've developed ways to by pass its deficiency, but again, limiting.

Given what I do, which is quite a big range, I want something light and compact, with both good photo and video capability for the majority of things I do, and the ability to do night timelapse from time to time. I know I am greedy, but I am also willing to adapt to make things work.

With the new mirrorless offerings from Nikon, for an example the Z6 or even the Z50, do you think it's time to switch? I'd love to be able to continue to use my current Nikon lens, but of course, it's not a must. Any thoughts? Thanks folks!

To clarify, I am not trying to replace the Gopro, but want something more versatile than the D750.

Here's an example of my riding video:

Here's an example of my workshop video:

Which camera was the riding video taken with? I ask because the lens-flaring and lack of stabilization were the two least desirable aspects. Some kind of hood, even something improvised, might help a lot. Some kind of change in mount might help with shakiness as well, especially if a reasonable mount could be constructed to attach directly to the bicycle.

Additionally it seems like a lot of action-videos use nonrectilinear lenses. Not sure exactly what lenses, perhaps fish-eye lenses for full-frame sensors that fit on smaller-sensor cameras, such that there's distortion but no vignetting?

I am a Nikon shooter and love the gear. If I was in a situation where I needed to travel, carry, hike, bike with my gear often I would seriously look at other systems.

From the very little I know about other systems, you might do very well to look at the Olympus micro 4/3 systems. Still very high quality but they are also much more compact and a fraction of the weight.

I recently bought an Olympus em1 mk2 mostly for video. To be straight up with you what I know about video could be written on the back of a postage stamp, but I too have Nikon gear and it's clear to me that it's clunky with video (I have d610,d7200 and d5600 so I believe your d750 is a little better at video than any of my cameras)

You don't mention a budget- the obvious one is the Nikon z6 which has in body stabilization (always a plus for video) and will use your lenses(via adapter)

If you look at DPREVIEW, most of their vids are done with Panasonic, (The gh5 or gh5s), but all Panasonic m43 cameras except the very entry model now do 4k and have Ibis. You do need to watch what crop if any is applied, the more upmarket ones don't apply a crop.

I went with Olympus because I've had a few before and the EM1 mk 2 got a firmware update recently that improved lots about the camera, including video autofocus, the 4k doesn't get cropped. The new EM5 mk 3 has all those specs also.

The Panasonic and Olympus have the potential to be quite small and light, with some not overly expensive lenses. Unless your happy to go the Nikon route I'd look at these

Most reactions

New Topics

Back