Photoshoot this Weekend

chrisburke

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisburke.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm very excited, I've got a great photoshoot opportunity coming up this weekend at an event. It's got skateboarders, break dancers, motocross, strong men, island dancers, bands.. it's gonna be crazy fun. They are sending me my press pass in the mail.

should be about 6000 in attendance, plus all the crews who are putting on the show!

heres the promo video for the event.
http://www.iwt-resources.com/downloads/IWT_short_promo.mov

any advice? photos are mostly for personal use, but there are a few people who want the images as well.

to find out what i'm shooting with, just read my signature.

If possible, try to get your hands on some faster glass... Maybe see if you can rent a 50mm 1.8 (or 1.4) or a 35mm (f/2) you may have trouble getting the speeds you need with your current glass.

goodluck sir, have fun

If possible, try to get your hands on some faster glass... Maybe see if you can rent a 50mm 1.8 (or 1.4) or a 35mm (f/2) you may have trouble getting the speeds you need with your current glass.
goodluck sir, have fun

i'll have to look into this.. i've never heard of renting here in my area

be careful on what you rent, since you have the D40, remember you won't be able to auto focus with anything that isn't AF-S. So with the 50mm f/1.8, which would probably be perfect for you, you will have to manual focus it.

You could check http://www.rentglass.com, im not sure how fast they ship though.

my 50mm 1.8 autofocuses. Only time i have to manually focus it is if its really dark or i'm to close to something. It actually autofocuses pretty fast.

Does canons 50mm 1.8 autofocus and others don't?

Where are you going to be in regards to distance from the "action" though. I'm assuming you're not going to be 20 feet away from the motocross mud. I'd like to see some shots of the mud spraying from the back tires, or some good plants on ramps.

I hate to tell you this but even with a press pass you ain't got the gear to shoot an event like this. Good luck with and you might get something decent but do not be too dissapointed because your lack of fast glass and a decent body for that matter will severly limit your abilities to be successful in a venue like this.

my 50mm 1.8 autofocuses. Only time i have to manually focus it is if its really dark or i'm to close to something. It actually autofocuses pretty fast.

Does canons 50mm 1.8 autofocus and others don't?

Where are you going to be in regards to distance from the "action" though. I'm assuming you're not going to be 20 feet away from the motocross mud. I'd like to see some shots of the mud spraying from the back tires, or some good plants on ramps.

The Nikon 50MM f1.8 is able to do so. Just not with that camera. The D40 or D40x need AF-S or AF-I lens to have autofocus.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond60/
Look at section "Auto Focus only for AF-S or AF-I lenses"

Correct.

The D40 does not have an AF motor built into the body like most other DSLR's. This means that if you want AF, you'll have to buy a lens that has a focus motor (as stated, with the AF-I/S designation).

I don't shoot Nikon, but as far as I know, they don't produce a 50mm 1.8 with AF yet.

If you are outdoors and the event is in bright sunlight, you won't need the fast glass, you MAY be able to get away with what you have.

50mm for action sports or events is not going to cut it unless you can get quite close to the action (like within 10-20 feet or closer).

If it is indoors or past dusk, you definately have the wrong lenses with you.

You would need something thats fast and has a good amount of mid-range zoom. Normally those are not cheap lenses, and also require some practice to get good at. If you rent, rent it for a couple days before the event or you will end up being disappointed.

My first advice is you come one hour earlier and look around the site to spot the arena locations. As Jerry said above in the day time you don't need fast lens although it would be advantageous naturally.

I went recently for outdoor shooting on st patrick day and at the easter show, the kit lens was the only lens I need. And man, I like the results from that kitty really. Inside the buildings or outside I have use flash only once - out of almost 400 photos. Yap that's all. I show it to you one day that I shoot people after the sun down too.

Meter the outdoor and the indoor scenes before the event begins and don't hesitate to use 800 ISO. Yours D40 is fully capable in handling it quite well. But in the day time most likely you will only reach 400 at most.

Btw good luck and have fun. I want to a photo or two.

thanks for all your advice guys, i'll be sure to post the best images when I get back... called around today, no one in the area rents lens' out.. so i'll have to stick with what I have... I'm confident that i'll get some good shots

That place looks like it will be complete insanity, wish i could go!

There are places on line where you can rent and they will ship it to you if you ever REALLY need something for a special event

Most reactions

Back