Photoshop Elements 7 or Lightroom 2?

meyecam

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, this is my first post here, but I've been reading the forum for a little bit and everyone seems very knowledgeable and helpful, so I thought I'd ask your opinion on this.

I'm a definite novice in the world of photography and editing, but I'm looking to get more serious about it and possibly turn it into a profession. In the meantime, while I'm learning, which editing software would be the best to start with? I've a read a bunch of reviews on both PE 7 and LR 2 and they seem very similar, but maybe I'm missing something big?

I'm assuming CS4 would be the best option overall and in the long run and I believe both options are good for organzing, but to do basic editing and coloring (example below), which between PE 7 and LR 2 would be the better pick?

Also, does either one really do composition? And if so, which one is better for that?

Thanks for any advice.

3532315984_69f1be78ed.jpg

Last edited:
Elements 7 is actually a lot more powerful than most people know. I would suggest getting it. Lightroom will be a good addition at some point. It will compliment it greatly. LR will help your workflow.

Elements will offer you more editing capabilities. I'd suggest starting there.

It depends on what you want to do:

Lightroom - Useful for editing massive batches of RAW photos, from the camera right to print and presentation. This software is great for those who need to go through complicated selection processes, batch correct images, and play with basic picture settings.

Elements - Useful for carefully editing individual images. There is no real workflow in PSE7. But it is fantastically powerful giving access to most of the features of the full Photoshop which are relevant to photography, in a much more easy to use package.

Photoshop - This is the crem della crem, combined with lightroom integration you can do anything. But that rarely justifies spending that much money on it unless you get a return on investment (i.e. professional photographer or graphic artist), and most of what it can do for photography can be done by other programs for cheaper.

Photoshop - This is the crem della crem, combined with lightroom integration you can do anything. But that rarely justifies spending that much money on it unless you get a return on investment (i.e. professional photographer or graphic artist), and most of what it can do for photography can be done by other programs for cheaper.

Thanks. What are some of the other comparable programs (a real newbie here)? Corel Photo Shop seemed to be really good in comparisons, but any others?

You can check out paint.net for free. Some people find it suits all of their needs as a beginner.

Here's some reference.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...6117-photoshop-elements-vs-lightroom-2-a.html

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - Who Needs It? - A Photographer’s Perspective - Mark Galer | PhotoshopSupport.com

If you even go to adobe.com, you can see their strategy. CS4 and lightroom, or CS3 and lightroom, or Elements and lightroom.
Adobe - Photoshop Lightroom 2: FAQ

If you go with only lightroom, you will have a very simple and efficient workflow. You can batch process all you want. You can even do SOME editing. However, your true editing capabilities will be limited. Elements and CS are for just that.

My suggestion is that you go with elements and then add lightroom later. How do I know this? Because the first one I got was Lightroom.

Thanks for these! Very helpful, especially the second link. At this stage in the game and going off of everyone's responses, I think I'm leaning towards starting with Elements and going from there.

I use both, first import into Lightroom and then final touches in elements.

If I had a choice of only one, I would choose elements to start off with but certainly try and add lightroom when you can.

Though the license doesn't allow use for commercial purposes it's always nice if you can qualify to get Adobe software through their Education Store at substantial discounts. (CS4 Extended at 80% off for example.)

Yep. If you have kids in school, you can look at academicsuperstore.com. I think they have to be in college or higher for you to qualify for Adobe CS products though.

I cannot get elements 7 to work on my computer, which was slow until I uninstalled it. I wish I could sell it, it's not like I can return it.

Photoshop Elements 7. You can get it on ebay for less than $60.

Also pick up:
The Photoshop Elements 7 Book For Digital Photographers by Scott Kelby. It's worth every nickel.

Good luck,

Jon

Most reactions

New Topics

Back