Photoshop Issues. Help please!

Are you using camera raw to import them?

When you bring them up on ACR, there's a link at the bottom that tells it what format it will be when it opens in photoshop. Click on that blue link and you can set the defaults for that type of import.

(For example, my link says something along the lines of "sRGB IEC61966-21; 8 bit; xxxx by yyyy (xx.xMP); 250 ppi" (where x's and y's and such are replaced by real numbers).

That brings up an interface where you can make all sorts of juicy changes.

If you're not using ACR, I can't help you. :)

edit: And then I read you don't use camera raw. I do have lightroom, and I'll check but I remember setting light room to actually work in 16 bit when editing...

In Lightroom 2, it's under edit->preferences->external editing tab. The first section shows file format, color space, bit depth (that's the one you want) and resolution.

When you bring them up on ACR, there's a link at the bottom that tells it what format it will be when it opens in photoshop. Click on that blue link and you can set the defaults for that type of import.

(For example, my link says something along the lines of "sRGB IEC61966-21; 8 bit; xxxx by yyyy (xx.xMP); 250 ppi" (where x's and y's and such are replaced by real numbers).

edit: And then I read you don't use camera raw. I do have lightroom, and I'll check but I remember setting light room to actually work in 16 bit when editing...

There ya go, I didn't even see that but I never use it. That should always be the same too unless you change it right?

If you were replying to me I'm the wrong person haha

I think it changes based on the file type. It drove me nuts until I set it the same for DNG and CR2 and I use the first upsize for all RAW images (neat trick for bigger photos, you can get away with it most of the time), but TIFF and JPEG I have it import at the same size as the original file.

I think it changes based on the file type. It drove me nuts until I set it the same for DNG and CR2 and I use the first upsize for all RAW images (neat trick for bigger photos, you can get away with it most of the time), but TIFF and JPEG I have it import at the same size as the original file.

You had it right the first time man, i believe the OP does use ACR I was just responding as if I wasn't sure.

I leave mine at 16, save as tiff/psd in PS, do the PP in these formats and save the result again as tiff/psd as these are non destructive formats, only when I'm finished editing, and, depending on the lab as to which file type they prefer, do I then go, PS- image-mode-8bit and save as jpeg. Otherwise why shoot raw anyway, if you want a jpeg let the camera process your shot, your making work for yourself that a little Japanese scientist already did. H

Most reactions

Back