What's new

Photoshop Software

ksnyder

TPF Noob!
Joined
May 26, 2011
Messages
30
Reaction score
1
Location
Illinois
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Originally I was planning on purchasing photoshop CS5 and taking a class that correlated with the program, however I was interested in getting some feed back before I made that decision. I have not had any experience with photoshop but am willing and able to learn. Should I stick with my original plan or start out/go with photoshop lightroom (or other photoshop program) instead. I DO want to stay within the photoshop software.
 
Both :)

Really depends on your work flow and how you want to organize/catalog your images. And... how you want to do your post work. I would say 80% of my original work is completed in LR3 and the final processing is in CS5.

Here is a good video from Terry White... might get you going in the right direction.

Hope this helps.
Hatch

How To Get Started With Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 | Terry White's Tech Blog
 
It also depends on what you are wanting to do. Lightroom is not a photo editing software. It is a digital darkroom designed to post process your images and to catalog them. Photoshop is an image editing program that will also allow you to post process your images as well but the catalog features are lacking.
 
If your Photoshop class is at an acredited school, you will be able to buy the Student Edition of Adobe Photoshop CS5 Extended at an 80% discount. Retail for CS5 Extended is $999, so you will be able to but it for $199.

Photoshop Lightroom 3 is a compliment to Photoshop CS5 in that Lightroom's main function is image database management for photographers that routinely make a lot of photographs. Lightroom's editing function is a secondary use.

Note that CS5 and Lightroom 3 use the same edit rendering engine - Adobe Camera Raw 6, also know as ACR or just Camera Raw.

Also note that CS5 comes with Bridge, an image browser that is tightly integrated with Photoshop CS5, and the above mentioned ACR. ACR can be hosted by both Bridge and by Photoshp CS5 allowing many batch editing options that speed workflow.
 
If your Photoshop class is at an acredited school, you will be able to buy the Student Edition of Adobe Photoshop CS5 Extended at an 80% discount. Retail for CS5 Extended is $999, so you will be able to but it for $199.

Photoshop Lightroom 3 is a compliment to Photoshop CS5 in that Lightroom's main function is image database management for photographers that routinely make a lot of photographs. Lightroom's editing function is a secondary use.

Note that CS5 and Lightroom 3 use the same edit rendering engine - Adobe Camera Raw 6, also know as ACR or just Camera Raw.

Also note that CS5 comes with Bridge, an image browser that is tightly integrated with Photoshop CS5, and the above mentioned ACR. ACR can be hosted by both Bridge and by Photoshp CS5 allowing many batch editing options that speed workflow.

And don't let the name "student version" deter you, it is the full featured CS5 Extended version. That is the route I went.
 
Maybe Elements 9 would be worth a look, its a slimmed down version but it still has loads in it, ACR, layer masks. Its about 1/8th of the price. You may find it has more than you even need
 
The ACR in Elements 9 is seriously de-featured, and Elements is mostly limited to only doing 8-bit, and not 16-bit, edits.
 
Fair point KmH, but that may be enough for some (it is for me)
 
I prefer photoshop overall. Plus If your a student (they will require proof in order to register it) definitely get the student version, I got a student version suite that has photoshop, illustrator, and in design for about $300 and its exactly the same as the non-student versions. Theres no watermarks or anything like that that show up when you want to print.
 
Yeah definitely go with Photoshop, I've been using it for about 12 years and it is so easy to use. Quick to learn the functions and then from there it is just trying all the features for yourself to see how they work. :) I love it. Photoshop and After Effects are my two favorite software programs. Must haves for me!
 
Awesome information everyone. Thanks for your opinions, help, and replies.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom