What's new

Picked Green to Beat the Frost

Ysarex90 84

TPF Supporters
Joined
Nov 27, 2011
Messages
7,717
Reaction score
4,577
Location
St. Louis
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Made it into the 30s last night. We're picking the green ones now. I'll be making green tomato soup for the next week while my wife is busy starting them fermenting. Today the first fermented batch got going and I had to take a snapshot to send to grandma before they went to the basement.

Joe

green_tomatoes_zps8448948d.jpg
 
Fermented, huh? Never heard of doing that. Nice photo!
 
Got recipe?

Well if you're talking about fermentation then look here: Sandor Katz
My wife swears by this guy. The way she talks about him I have to start wondering if I should be jealous.

My green tomato soup:
1 large chopped onion.
Optional additional vegies -- I like a bunch of chopped mushrooms and maybe some zucchini.
1/2 pound of Italian sausage.
2 cloves garlic.
Rosemary -- plenty.
Saute onions, vegie and sausage in 3 quart sauce pan.
Peel green tomatoes and chop.
Chop ripe tomatoes.
You want at least equal amounts of green and ripe tomatoes or 1/3 green 2/3 ripe for a less sour soup.
Fill the sauce pan with tomatoes till near full.
Add Rosemary, black pepper and crushed garlic.
Add chicken broth to cover and bring to boil.
Add some optional chopped zucchini.
Reduce heat and simmer until green tomatoes are cooked.
Salt to taste with a sprinkle of grated parmesan.

Joe
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom