Picked up some Kenko extension tubes

Discussion in 'Macro Photography' started by RowdyRay, Mar 8, 2018.

1. RowdyRay

RowdyRay No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Found these at a local pawnshop. Being a repeat customer has it's perks. They took another 10% off. Out the door for 34.26. Couldn't pass it up. Think I did well.....for the cheapskate that I am. Lol.

Been wanting some of these for a while. There's lots of cheap ones out there. You guys steer people away from them. Are they really that bad? Doesn't look like there's much to them. Just a tube and contacts. Reason I ask. I'd like to get some for my nephew. Highly unlikely to find another deal this good.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Wow, you got a VERY GOOD deal on the complete 3-tube set. KENKO AF tubes (with contacts for full metering and autofocusing!) are NICE! I have owned a set for 15 years or so...they are great tubes. And having the contacts makes EXIF reporting, TTL flash, and light metering great. And, it makes using the AF a viable option. Many cheap MIC tubes have no contacts, and can make life a PITA, depending on the camera system they are used on.

• Like Like x 1
  3. weepete

weepete TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I've got a cheap unbranded set and while I find them fine there are a few downsides. Namely because they have no electrical contacts I need to use a bit of trickery (or a manual lens) to adjust aperture, and they can screw up the metering a bit as well. I don't find it a big deal and taking a few extra shots isn't really much trouble to me but I could see why it would put some people off.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jaomul

jaomul Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Yip, af tubes are great, more so for all the other control more so than autofocus.

If you ever get a macro lens you can even use them for closer than 1:1 shots

• Like Like x 2
  5. RowdyRay

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks folks, had to share a good find. I've got a Tamron 90mm, so it will be interesting to see how that works.

6. RowdyRay

Photos OK to edit

Well, I did find another deal. Even better. Nephew wasn't interested. They're in the for sale section if anyone else is.