Picking a Camera

Atari1977

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
atari1977.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I'm trying to pick out my first DSLR. So far I'm looking at the Pentax Camera's K-7, and K-5 as they both look good to use in manual mode(I shoot mostly using a Pentax K1000, I like manual a lot) I've also got three K-mount lenses for them a 55mm, 28mm, and 80-200mm. Though I can't decide wether to just get the K-7 or just buy the k-5 and have the latest camera. The only non-Pentax camera I've looked at is the Canon T2i. So any suggestions on which Pentax camera or another camera that would be good in manual?

Hi Atari1977. Firstly as you already have a good selection of lenses for Pentax imho you shouldn't even look at another brand. Every brand will have better aspects etc with Canon being better for shooting standing on your head and Nikon better when on a trampoline. All DSLRs will be good for manual. You will as the price goes up get slightly better spes such as faster frames per second and maybe higher ISO limits. Both Pentax cameras have got good reviews generally in their price range. I bought a Canon 50D recently and no sooner did I purchase when it was bettered by a newer model, point being that the K7 is older and less expensive at the moment but would still be a great camera. But having said that if I could afford the newer technology it may pay for itself due you not wanting to upgrade it for longer. Hope this is of some help

If you have pentax lens already then there is only one question you need to ask yourself; do you see a desire or need to upgrade to a FF camera at any point? (you may want the iso performance, or the faster wides, or the shallower DOF, etc) This is the only real drawback of the Pentax system, but for many users it's a non-issue. They don't have quite the range of modern lenses; but as you know a lot of old ones which are perfectly fine; except you won't get anything real wide cause they were all designed for 35mm instead of crop.

Also, if there is nothing you need from your lenses that you aren't already getting, then you can drop most of your money on a better body, compared to going canon where you would have to split your funds between body and lenses.

Further info: viewfinder size is larger in the two Pentax vs. Canon T2i and also pentaprism vs. pentamirror (if you want manual focus, this might be important).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back