Pics at the Airport

Kenny32

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well I spent a couple hours at the airport today, because I had nothing better to do. Took along the D50 and the 70-200 2.8

This is at Bradley International in Windsor Locks, CT

The way it's set up is that theres one viewing area by one of runways, and the rest you can't stop by (some FAA rule)...And this runway had about 20 knot crosswinds, so they weren't using it that much.

But I saw a good amount of landings...The biggest one I saw was an American Airlines 737. I was hoping to catch one of the Delta 757 flights from Florida, but those went to a different runway...

The smaller aircraft definitely had a hard time with the Crosswinds...But the pilots were good and got the planes down.

Heres a couple of my favorite:
U.S. Airways (Love the new Livery)
2603697240102966605S600x600Q85.jpg

United Airlines (Another sharp looking livery)
2278447720102966605S600x600Q85.jpg

American Airlines

Heres the gallery:
http://community.webshots.com/album/562932331ACXSaR

WEll I like the last one more that the others.. the first two, the blue is off and its overexposed. And actually it bothers me a little that the tails are cut off in 2/3 of those.. I think thesee could be better :thumbsup:

These are the fastest action pictures I've ever had to take...I mean these things are going over 100 mph.

I had the WB set at direct sunlight...And the Autofocus was giving me trouble...didn't want to go to the center. (It was stuck on the right, and I tried changing it in the settings) That's why the tails are cut off...(Because I had to shift it to the left)...

There is one more spot...But you can't park within a mile of it, so I'll have to park and hike it...It's more elevated and you have a great look at the approach and landing, not just the approach.

By blue do you mean the sky?

So therefore you think the exposure in the third one is the best and the first two are underexposed?

So I should've used a higher aperture...something more like F/3 or F/4?

Lol funny you posted this, I was just thinking of doing a couple shots of airplanes soon. Once i do it i'll have to post em.

Your shots are looking nice, i like them a lot, it's surprising how close the zoom makes you feel to the plane, even though i imagine you were probably very far away.

I like the last the most just because the lighting on the first too makes the planes seem very dark. On the last it brightens the plane up a lot and catches my eye.
Nice job.

I tried to do some shots like these the other day but they were botched as there wasn't enough light for me too shoot at a fast shutter. I'm going back for round 2 later.

But long story short i know how hard it is to frame the plane perfectly right in the small amount of time you have when its close enough for your lens.
I think you did a good job.

Thanks

It's really cool how they set it up though...at this stage in the approach, they are probably about 3,000 feet from the threshold and are at 200 feet, and they fly right by you. So it's not THAT far away, but far enough, and they're going quite fast.

Well as I look at these pictures more closely, they really aren't sharp.

I shot these at 1/4000, F/2.8, ISO 200, WB: Direct Sunlight (That might be why?), and AF-C.

Also, on the D50, how do I get the autofocus to go to the center, and not to the right? It's giving me a real problem and does NOT want to change.

Well as I look at these pictures more closely, they really aren't sharp.

I shot these at 1/4000, F/2.8, ISO 200, WB: Direct Sunlight (That might be why?), and AF-C.

Also, on the D50, how do I get the autofocus to go to the center, and not to the right? It's giving me a real problem and does NOT want to change.

use manual focus =D

HAH

I'll try...but it'll probably look like my grandmother made an attempt at photography.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back