picture.com contest

photong

Typo Queen
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I sent an image into them a small while ago, and I got a letter today saying that my entry proceeded to the next level automatically.

The rest of the letter went on about how my image will be in their book (I don't have to buy anything) they're publishing soon.

They went on to say I can buy it now, for cheap.

This letter makes me sound sooo important. I have to remember that at least hundreds of other people have received the same letter and will also be in this book. And this doesn't make me much mroe special than the person who didn't get published.

Has anyone else gotten anything like it? I'm a tad skeptical

Sounds like my experience at poetry.com. They basically publish everyone who sends in and then try and sell you the book you got published in. It's a scam and they'll never leave alone now.

Oh..I see :/

Do you think there is any type of way that I can get my name out partly this way?

Or it may look impressive that I say, "Yeah! I'm published!" to an employer and it be true?

I supposed they'd know.

My older sister did the poetry thing, there were many hundreds in the book.

My younger didter did that with poetry.com as well, but she copied her poem from a semi known poet. That was put to an end right quick.

Ah i see. I had a talk with a friend, and I'm sooo not going for it. It's funny how those things make you realize how gullable you are ;)

Watch out for photo contests that require you to give up copyright, or give anyone unlimited use of your work. These are scams designed to avoid having to pay for photography; they are getting rich off yours and others' work, and you don't get a dime (some 1st place winner gets something, but the 1000s of other photogs who entered get nothing but screwed).

And don't think this kind of thing is only pulled by scam artists. Supposedly reputable publications and companies sponser this kind of BS all the time. Make sure you read all the fine print, and if they want to make a calander or use your stuff on their website to sell more cameras then make sure you get paid.

This one makes it clear that you get all copyright..I forget what they called it, where they can publish it while you get all the copyright because it's your image and not thiers. That's not a worry :)

Wowies man. I'm glad I decided the other day to say, "Screw them!" What a jip :) Luckly, they have my junk email address :D Bwahahaha...

I should send them an empty ballot...jk :)

However, I didn't have an entry feee to pay. Plus, in my letter it said I retain all copyright.

I have received two of those letters for two different pictures I've sent in. Both of these pictures were very average pictures in my opinion. I think they're trying to sell some books! I believe that they do not own the copyright to the images though. If I remember right it said something about that in the disclaimer.

photong said:
I should send them an empty ballot...jk :)

They'd probably still add your "empty" photo to the book and try to sell the book to you.

"Dear Photong
We believe your photo "empty" was a fantastic work of art and we'd love to include it in our new coffee table book. If you would like to see your fantastic work you can order a copy of our book for only $65 USD (plus S&H)."

:lol:

BTW...When I was receiving letters from poetry.com about their poetry book (which apparently had several of my poems in it) I decided to look it up at some book stores to see if I could find it anywhere else. Not Amazon, Chapters/Indigo, or Cole recognized the ISBN number that was given to me by poetry.com. :scratch:

Most reactions

Back