Picture Editing Software

jason2215

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all. I just stumbled on this site after deciding to purchase my first DSLR to start taking some nicer photographs. Actually haven't even been able to play with it yet since I'm deployed at the moment. I was hoping to get some quick opinions on good photo editing software, mostly for finishing up pictures of the family and what not. I apologize if this has been discussed at length elsewhere in the forum....I don't get alot of time on the internet so posting a quick request is the easiest way for me to get the info.

I downloaded a free editing program (photoscape) to play with while I'm here, but I'm assuming there are advantages to spending a little money. Not looking to break the bank, so if there is a low cost option that works well, that would be awesome. I have seen Photoshop Elements and Paintshop Pro X3 on Amazon, but have no experience with either.

Thanks in advance for any assistance/opinions!

Oh, the camera was a Canon XS I picked up off Ebay. Wife says it is taking really nice pictures in Auto (her comfort zone), so I'm excited to try it out!

I have Corel Photoshop Pro-X3 on both of my computers, and it is what I use. I don't do a lot of heavy editing like some of the others on this forum, but the program is capable of it should I decide I needed to do it. Of course you are going to get the recommendations of Photoshop CS5, Elements, or Lightroom. There is an open source program (free) called GIMP that you can download NOW and start using. It's pretty close in operating like the other programs that most of the lessons you learn now can be applied when you get home and decide which program you want to use.

You will enjoy the camera, and the forum. Welcome and good luck.

I have both because Corel doesn't work on a MAC. That is the application I started with and found it easy to learn with lots of tutorials on line to help you learn more ways to leverage the functionality available. I really like the way it organizes my photos as well. Elements on the other hand, while a favorite with most people, was hard to learn. I am new to MAC and finding the transition a challenge. Elements 9 doesn't have a lot of tutorials and those that I have found are not that great. There are a lot of changes from Elements 8 so those tutorials aren't all that helpful. The organizer with Elements is a separate app and I find it cu, I find it cumbersome to view my photos in one app but have to open a second app to edit. So, my recommendation is Paintshop Pro if you are a PC user. Enjoy!

What radiorick said. The only thing I'll add is that none of these programs are intuitive in the least. Invest in a book. With a beginners book, in an afternoon you can have a good handle on the basics. On line tutorials are pretty hit and miss, and it could take weeks or months to get where a good book will get you in a day or two. For any of the Adobe products, Scott Kelby writes good, basic books that will give you the fundamentals. For PSP or GIMP, i can't recommend any ( I use Photoshop), but I would certainly ask. We do have several members who use PSP, and quite a few who use GIMP. In the past I didn't recommend GIMP because there wasn't much in the way of resources, other than on line tuts. Now, however, there are rather a few books available for it.

Why not wait and out grow Photoscape, it will do a lot of amazing things. I also recommend this as an option to my students.

Guys, thank you so much for the insight!!! I was actually leaning towards Elements just based on random reviews, but it is good to hear the alternatives. I'm having fun playing around with photoscape and the pictures I have on my laptop here and I'm really impressed with some of the things you can do with it. Good to hear that you guys like the Corel software and it's much cheaper than Elements as well :) Sincerely appreciate the feedback.

Welcome to the forum!

Hey all. I just stumbled on this site after deciding to purchase my first DSLR to start taking some nicer photographs. Actually haven't even been able to play with it yet since I'm deployed at the moment. I was hoping to get some quick opinions on good photo editing software, mostly for finishing up pictures of the family and what not. I apologize if this has been discussed at length elsewhere in the forum....I don't get alot of time on the internet so posting a quick request is the easiest way for me to get the info.

I downloaded a free editing program (photoscape) to play with while I'm here, but I'm assuming there are advantages to spending a little money. Not looking to break the bank, so if there is a low cost option that works well, that would be awesome. I have seen Photoshop Elements and Paintshop Pro X3 on Amazon, but have no experience with either.

Thanks in advance for any assistance/opinions!

Oh, the camera was a Canon XS I picked up off Ebay. Wife says it is taking really nice pictures in Auto (her comfort zone), so I'm excited to try it out!

What country are you in? You don't indicate that in your profile. The internet is international.

If anyone in your immediate family is a student, it's quite possible they qualify to buy Adobe software Student Editions in Adobe's Education Store: Adobe.com Site Requirements which offers up to 80% off the retail price of their software. Adobe also offers substantial discounts for upgrading.

Thanks for the heads up, profile (somewhat) updated.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back