Pictures coming out pixilated/grainy/bad quality

Lanimilbus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a Panasonic Lumix FZ20, and was told by the manufacturer that it is a true-megapixel camera, and that every picture should be perfectly sharp with no noise or pixilation, given that it’s not a picture taken with digital zoom. Well, every picture that I take with it, no matter what the lighting, shutter speed, exposure, aperture, flash on or off, distance, zoom, steadiness or mode is pixilated when I load it on to my computer and look at it through Photoshop zoomed in past 50%. It looks fine when I resize it to a small size, but at its full size, the picture is grainy, full of noise, and fairly pixilated. Also, any picture I print out from my camera, no matter on what printer, what the picture is like, etc. is very pixilated when it is printed out.

I also have a hard time focusing on things…though I will aim directly at my subject, I’ll still end up getting the background or something else in focus somehow with my subject being out of focus. And it’s not accidentally on Manual Focus, so that’s not the problem…and often times I can’t use manual focus due to low light or not being able to judge from the LCD screen when the subject is in focus, so I have to rely on auto.

Can anyone tell me what’s going on or help in any way?

Thanks,

Alec

First off, I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20(is this the model you have?) and it has worked perfectly since the day I baught it. So, either you have a bad pick of the camera, or you have the settings set very strangly.

Can you please post a sample of a picture that you have taken with your camera? That way we will be able to tell what may be the problem.
you can host it somewhere so we can see the full size photo.

Here are a few things that may be the problem.
1: Your computer settings
2: ISO on your camera is set too high
3: the size/quality that you are taking your pictures at.

I could go on forever unless I see a photo from the camera.

For the problem with the auto focus, what focusing mode do you use?
Spot?
or the fully auto mode where the camera chooses it's focusing point?

Also, remember that in Photoshop, unless it is 100% or 50% it will NOT be crisp... it will be over pixeliated.
Oh, and where/when did you buy it from?

I hope you can give us more details!

Edit: I've changed the links - try them now, but make sure you click "View Full Size" below the image.

The pict. size is at 2560, which is the highest on that camera, the quality is on the 'Fine' setting (there are three options - TIFF, which allows me only 6 or so pictures, Fine, or Standard) and in about 90% of my pictures, the ISO is at the lowest setting, 80, because I find that in higher ISO settings, I do see more noise.

Here are four examples of my photos directly from my camera, not edited in any way, and how they came out (make sure you view them in full size):

http://community.webshots.com/photo/359832038/393268816bMFSfn
This picture was taken at a fast shutter speed (1/1000) so even though I didn't have a tripod, with that fast of a shutter speed, I wouldn't think that it would make a difference...but look at the rabbit's face and how it's grainy, like it was taken with digital zoom...but it wasn't, it was taken with optical, and not much, at that.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/393269166/393269166wHlzLN
This picture looks fine when resized to maybe 1/4 of what it is normally, but in full size, the trees and lupin look blurred and fuzzy and I can't understand why - again, fast shutter speed, low ISO, high picture quality. No zoom used.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/393269432/393269432eTvGDQ
I took this last week, with very little zoom, a shutter speed of around 1/1300 in a bright parking lot, with virtually no movement of the camera, and the moose in the picture is out of focus and blurred.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/393269692/393269692fSlwMc
Another moose picture - again on a fast shutter speed, low ISO. Very little zoom was used. But look at the moose's eyes, ears, and snout - fuzzy and grainy.

Those links are forbidden for me...please could you re post? hehe sorry...

Try changing the exposure settings? even the aparature settings...or the mode? or the wb?

Come to think of it wb and aparature SHOULDT make a difference to quality....I feel...

huh I see the photos and I see the problem... hmm but I have no idea what it might be...

I can't see the pics either unfortunately. But is the camera still covered by warranty? I'd just send it away to get fixed... if it is a problem with the circuitry there's no way you'll be able to fix it yourself.

Hi

What film are you using. If it's colour neg film, perhaps you should try tranny. Tranny is usually a bit sharper, you know.

Just a suggestion

Tally Ho!

F. Duddy

Just had a quick look through the photos and it seems like some of the photos are focused in the foreground before the subject.. Maybe you have got the focus settings wrong?

Matt Davis said:
Just had a quick look through the photos and it seems like some of the photos are focused in the foreground before the subject.. Maybe you have got the focus settings wrong?
That is what I am thinking is the main problem...
He needs to shoot something with a rest in nice lighting that is a definate object so we can see the DoF and how it is...

Having looked at your pics, it seems to me you have a DOF problem, try using Aperature Priority and use a smaller aperture. Using a fast shutter speed will mean you have a fairly large aperture, this can course minimal DOF. Or reduce the speed.Ernie

Most reactions

Back