Pictures display differently on other pcs.

JEFFB

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I didn't really know how to title this, but tonight, I was using my roomates oc, and found (not surprisingly) that his monitor displayed pictures quite differently than my own. Not really a big deal, but I was wondering if there is a standard that would work to allow all (or most) screens to display images the same way. I assume that it is just due to brightness and contrast settings, which would vary from one persons monitor to the next.
The reason I think this is even marginally a topic, is that this forum in particular is dealing with photography, and we are posting our photos for each other, but you may (and more than likely do not) see the image the same as I do on my pc. In comparison with an actual photo, it is just the way it is. The brightness and contrast of the photo don't change if it is passed around for people to see.

I suppose there is not a whole lot that can be done about it, but I thought I'd post it and see if anyone else has thought about this, and maybe see if there is a way to try to ensure that what is seen at the other end is the same as what is sent/posted?

Thanks
Jeff

I'm asuming your using PS. In that case check the GAMA setting and adjust.

You can go get monitor calibration software that you use to correct brightness and contrast and what have you to standards. Mainly it's setting the blacks to black and the whites to white. Then the color balance. I don't know of any free ones but someone on here might.

On a related note, on my computer, the images in PS are much brighter than in Windows. I've tried to adjust the color spaces, and see absolutely NO EFFECT...

Thanks for the replies everyone. But I don't think I got my point across. I know about setting up my monitor, and my roomates monitor, but I don't know that you see my pics the same way I do, or that I see yours the same way you do. It was just that I noticed it on his pc. And again, I realize it is very unlikley that there is a simple way to ensure that everyone sees the image the same way, other than the assumption that they have their monitor setup properly (or the same way that I like mine). I would be quite willing to bet that many monitors are indeed setup quite differently, since it is something that inevitably is open to the interpretation of the individual who is setting up the monitor. I am moreso posting this in case by some freak chance there was a quik fix or standardized setting that I just wasn't aware of.

ps: I don't know if this made it any clearer, but its not really a big issue in the first place, it was just something that I was curious about.

Thanks Again
Jeff

I can't answer your question Jeff; but just to give you something else to think about....

I doubt very much that you see the world through your eyes in the same tones and colours that I see with my eyes - so even if we held the same picture in our hands we would see it in a slightly different way ;)

And just for the record - pictures on my desktop look much better than on my laptop :confused:

When I first wake up in the morning I perceive colour differently in my right and left eyes. It gradually adjusts though so that they're both the same after a few mins. :)

JEFFB said:
Thanks for the replies everyone. But I don't think I got my point across. I know about setting up my monitor, and my roomates monitor, but I don't know that you see my pics the same way I do, or that I see yours the same way you do. It was just that I noticed it on his pc. And again, I realize it is very unlikley that there is a simple way to ensure that everyone sees the image the same way, other than the assumption that they have their monitor setup properly (or the same way that I like mine). I would be quite willing to bet that many monitors are indeed setup quite differently, since it is something that inevitably is open to the interpretation of the individual who is setting up the monitor. I am moreso posting this in case by some freak chance there was a quik fix or standardized setting that I just wasn't aware of.

ps: I don't know if this made it any clearer, but its not really a big issue in the first place, it was just something that I was curious about.

Thanks Again
Jeff

One of the only ways to ensure you're looking the same is with a minimum perception chart. This is a chart with very subtle bands of tone in it, something like this:
32907603.grayscale2.jpg

This will enable you to get the brightness and contrast correct. After this is correct then you can calibrate or adjust different colours.

The main point I'm making is that it's not possible to ensure two people are seeing the same thing unless they calibrate and adjust off a benchmark. With the internet, it's just not possible to get everything looking the same everywhere - some people like their monitors fuzzy and dark!

Rob

clarinetJWD said:
On a related note, on my computer, the images in PS are much brighter than in Windows. I've tried to adjust the color spaces, and see absolutely NO EFFECT...

Are you using CMYK? Because I had that problem once the images in one were alot brighter than the other because I was using CMYK then saving to jpeg.

There's no way to force another monitor to see an image the same way yours does. All you can do is calibrate yours to a standard and hope others do the same.

Here's a quick way:
http://pages.prodigy.net/ecmorris/tips/monitor.htm

That should get you most of the way, but to get more precise, you usually have to use some external hardware to measure the monitor output, like a Spyder.
http://www.colorvision.com/profis/profis_view.jsp?id=101
I have the earlier Spyder, and it's pretty easy to use.

It's been a while since I messed with this, so the below is just coming from memory. Take it with a grain of salt.

Adobe has a gamma adjustment app. It usually runs at startup, but it may be only starting when you run PS, which can shift the look. Making sure you are working in the correct color space (sRGB for JPG) also affects things, but it sounds like you already tried this. Also see if you are using Gamma 1.8 or 2.2. If PS is set different from Windows, this can throw things off.

Most reactions

Back