Thanks for the feedback. I also liked the first one, because of the line the road creates.
As far as PP I used CS4 which I just got. I haven't used PS since HS so I'm still trying to become familiar with it all over again, and the new features. What I did was VERY minimal. I am not shooting in RAW yet, still scared of it, and I was editing in 8bit.
As far as the sky being blown out...I am not an expert yet but I was shooting directly into the sun. The only part that looses detail is the sun, if you look at the clouds all around it you can see their edges and definition very clearly I think. Again I may be wrong, but if I tried anything further as far as increasing shutter speed or closing the aperture I would have lost the highlights anywhere else. I used a polarizing filter, but if I had one, I probably would have gotten better results using an ND filter.
With the bench shots, you guys don't like the woman in the back ground? I have several shots I took, and I decided I liked it better with her in it. My whole thought with that photo was that there was a fairly interesting back ground and a person in the photo, but I focused on what seemed least significant... the empty bench. That was my thought process, I can show another shot almost exactly the same with the woman not in the scene, or one that was shot in a portrait ratio with more of the sky and the feet kept in the shot. I tried to get the feet of the bench in the shot there, but I'm shooting without a tripod and I was back on the ground in crunch position trying to get the look I wanted. I was beginning to shake, apparently I need to do more ab work at the gym
-tim