Pictures of the girls. How did I do?

manaheim

Jedi Bunnywabbit
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've just started experimenting with diffused flash on subjects where the background behind them is bright to bring out details and not lose them in shadow. Curious of any thoughts... good or bad... lemme have it. Thanks!

==1==
Enna%20and%20Grace%20-%20Old%20%20North%20Bridge%20-%20004.jpg

==2==
Enna%20and%20Grace%20-%20Old%20%20North%20Bridge%20-%20082.jpg

Too little there for "letting you have it".
I think you succeeded in your experiment, simple as that. I think they came out well.
Diffused flash, how? How did you diffuse it?
I remember when I first tried to use "fill flash" (direct, but not the pop-up one), I always found it way too strong on my subject. This is not the case here!

Congratulations.
To these photos.
And to the girls!
(I assume they are yours? Precious!)

Awesome lighting and logo :thumbup:

Don't squat down and take portraits looking upwards. You end up looking up their nose and the subject does not look good in general. Point the camera slightly down at them or at eye level for best results and avoid straight up and down lines.

The only exception to taking a portrait with the camera pointing up at the subject is in the case of C.E.Os and people of authority. That would give them a more majestic and authoritative look with them looking downwards.

Too little there for "letting you have it".
I think you succeeded in your experiment, simple as that. I think they came out well.
Diffused flash, how? How did you diffuse it?
I remember when I first tried to use "fill flash" (direct, but not the pop-up one), I always found it way too strong on my subject. This is not the case here!

Congratulations.
To these photos.
And to the girls!
(I assume they are yours? Precious!)

Thanks, LaFoto! Yeah, they are my girls. The older one is a perpetually willing model, which is handy. The younger one a little less so. I get a lot of rolling eyes when I break the camera out. :lol:

I'm glad you think I succeeded. I was worried the light was still a little too harsh in spots, but overall I felt like it worked out.

I used a Lumiquest bouncer. It works like a small portable ceiling, in effect. Diffuses the light a fair amount, though it does make me look like a lunatic with this giant thing hanging off the flash of my camera. :lol:

Thanks for your comments.

Awesome lighting and logo :thumbup:

Don't squat down and take portraits looking upwards. You end up looking up their nose and the subject does not look good in general. Point the camera slightly down at them or at eye level for best results and avoid straight up and down lines.

The only exception to taking a portrait with the camera pointing up at the subject is in the case of C.E.Os and people of authority. That would give them a more majestic and authoritative look with them looking downwards.

Thank for the comments. I actually (personally) like the down looking up thing sometimes... makes the kids looks like powerful giants tooking triumphantly off into the distance, which is amusing. In this case I did it because I wanted those leaves as a backdrop. Regardless, I know what you're speaking of and I am mindful of it, but I appreciate you taking the time to mention it.

Ah couple more if anyone is interested...

==3==
Emma%20and%20Grace%20-%20Old%20%20North%20Bridge%20-%20068.jpg

==4==
Emma%20and%20Grace%20-%20Old%20%20North%20Bridge%20-%20041.jpg

Lol this is what I know about flash. The uglier your flash is the better it will probably look in the picture for portraits. Ie Gary Fong diffusers, big as heck softboxes, random piece of cardstock taped on top. I think you did well.

Lol this is what I know about flash. The uglier your flash is the better it will probably look in the picture for portraits. Ie Gary Fong diffusers, big as heck softboxes, random piece of cardstock taped on top. I think you did well.

hahah... very sensible advice. Maybe I'll paint the flash pink. :)

#4 is fantastic!

Your daughters are beautiful. I have 3 - the youngest is a freshman in college.
They grow fast.

You're lucky, mine refuse to model for me - unless I pay them. ;)

These are great pics. Outdoor, using a flash mounted strobe, with a big diffuser as a fill light. This gives you very soft, even light, and turns a crappy snapshot into something to remember. I just built myself a home made diffuser like the one you are talking about and I LOVE it, I could care less about the size, my wife however doesn't like being so embarrassed when we go out. I have no shame lol.

One tip I will give (of course this adds tremendously to your size) is get a flash grip like the StroboFrame. It really helps when your doing the portrait shots. and it gives the light a little more interest being off the camera. You'll also need a hot shoe translator or something depending on of your doing ttl metering or manual flash.

Edit: oh yeah this goes along with exactly what MWCfarms was saying.

Thanks, guys. Actually this reminds me I bought some white and black foam to try to make my own diffuser. I should actually... finish that. :)

Thanks for all the comments.

Somehow this experiment reminds me of;

;)

Otherwise good work! You've avoided what I've seen a fair few times and dislike (most times) which is when there is a big difference in brightness before the foreground and the background (normally a dull background with very bright subjects). It makes for a far more natural lighting view in your examples

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing! First of all, I did not care about the background, color, or composition because you made me keep focusing on the girls' look.

I think you captured something from the girls. Something that is very hard to get from children unless they are very mentally mature and sensitive.

I love your photo no. 4. It is one of the best photos I have seen recently.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back