Pisaura mirabilis

Bios.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
One of my favorite spiders in the UK, they display some some really interesting behaviour. There has been a fair amount of research on them mainly about their mating behaviour where the male offers a nuptial gift apparently to prevent the female eating him after they have mated. See this: Sign in to read: Spiders play dead to get laid - life - 27 February 2008 - New Scientist and this: Male Spiders Scam Females with Gift-Wrapped Garbage: Scientific American Podcast. I would love to use them as a study species.

These shots are from a couple of females that I have been keeping, I was meaning to photograph them and release them but the weather here has been awful for ages and I've been really busy so they've almost become pets!

P. mirabilis in web by [[BIOSPHERE]], on Flickr

P. mirabilis in web by [[BIOSPHERE]], on Flickr

P. mirabilis with prey by [[BIOSPHERE]], on Flickr

P. mirabilis egg-sac by [[BIOSPHERE]], on Flickr

P. mirabilis young by [[BIOSPHERE]], on Flickr

Beautiful arachnid! Very nice shots.. and that is quite an egg sac! Approximately how large are the babies?

Thanks it seems like she finds it very difficult to run whilst carrying the egg sac like that! The babies are 1-2mm, I think that shot was taken at about 4x on a crop sensor so pretty small!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back