Planning (desiring) to switch to Nikon

ketan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,

Currently I own Canon 6D and few lenses 24-105 f/4 L, 70-200 f/4 L, 150-500 Sigma etc. There are three features those keep me attracted to Nikon - Dynamic range, Low light performance, Color depth. I find the picture quality of Nikon 800 visibly superior compared to even 5D III. I was planning to now add 16-35 f/4 L and I told myself..hang on..why not switch to Nikon..

The only factor that I had in mind while choosing Canon was that 'Made in Japan' which is not there for Nikon. And that Nikon lenses are significantly expensive compared to Canon.

Now I am really tempted to move...:ambivalence:.. If I do switch to Nikon D800 then which are the essential lenses I must get first?

Thanks,

I'd wait and see how this new Sony a7r2 works out. It should work with all your current lenses and be as good as a d800.

Color Depth? I found the Sigma 150-500 lacked color depth on my Nikon. I saw it on photos on the web too but it was all I could afford at that time. The switch to Tamron solved that.

The Canon 70-200/4 is $1199 (via adorama, new)
The Nikon 70-200/4 is $1159

The Canon 24-105/4 is $1149
The Nikon 24-120/4 is $1306
Sigma 24-105/4 is $849

Canon 16-35/4 is $1100
Nikon 16-35/4 is $1137

I don't see how Nikon lenses are more significantly more expensive, unless you were looking at Canon f/4 vs Nikon f/2.8 lenses instead of Canon f/2.8 vs Nikon f/2.8.

You have to remember you are comparing someone else's skills , technique and processing style to your own. Just saying there are more variables involved than just the hardware.

I recently changed from a Pentax K-3 to a Nikon D810. For the most part my photos look the same. Don't get me wrong I see improvements, but they are not huge and most people would look at my work and be none the wiser of the change in equipment.

Up to you to decide whether the costs to change over are worth it.

Plus it goes without saying that Nikon will be better ;)

Being a Nikon guy I would love to see a Nikon fan moving from the Canon side.
Still with all the glass you have I would think long and hard before moving to any new system.
Yes Nikon has an advantage in DR and it will stay there for a while till Canon will improve its chip technology but Canon's next generation cameras will probably be just as good as Nikon's in low light.
Also if you lust for a powerful camera then last over the D810 and not the D800

For every fabulous photograph taken with a Nikon I can show you one taken with a Canon. For every fabulous photograph taken with a Canon I can show you one taken with a Nikon.

Have to fully agree with Scott. The skill of the photographer makes the photo. The brand of camera is brought on by other factors. In my case I was brought up on Nikon, an "F", and never looked back. The weight of the camera and the feel in my hand keep me there.
I would council you that you have a nice set of lenses and there is no good reason to change brands. The slightly better specs of the Nikons in a few small areas would come into play in less than 1/10th of 1 percent of your photos. And in the next generation the slightly better specs may go to Canon or ?????

firstly.... congratulations on your decision to switch to Nikon!
secondly....don't switch brands!!

seriously, you have a pretty significant investment in Canon already. you have a good camera with good lenses.
with the gear you have, switching to Nikon, even a D800, will not likely yield you any better results and will cost you a ton of money.
all the DXO points and benchmark tests do is make one camera look better than another camera on paper.
Nikon and Canon will forever be playing a game of technological leapfrog and each is only ahead of the other until the next batch of cameras get released. Just stick with Canon and upgrade when the new 50mp cameras come down to a good used price.

I say stick with Canon if only because I am a Canon man. But, heck, you pay less and get better value for same product with Canon vs. Nikon.
BTW, why not look into Pentax or Sony if you are tired of Canon?

Hi,

I have tried Pentex on film camera but was never impressed by either Pentex or Sony, somehow..Then I decided to go for film canon EOS 300 followed by 30D and then now 6D. The initial reason with an absolute limited knowledge was largely based on 'Made in Japan' of Canon vs 'Made in China' of Nikon..:048:

I am not a pro, just a serious hobbyist...eager to learn. Keep seeing pics on 500px with Exif and on most of the once those I am impressed by have seen taken by Nikon, especially the color dynamic range in dark areas - shadows is amazing. In fact inbuilt GPS, ISO boost etc of Canon I feel are gimmicks.

Having used Canon for last 10 year, not sure whether there will be a learning time required for Nikon.

At time when you bought your 30D, if you bought a Nikon digital SLR camera instead of the 30D, you may want to switch from Nikon to Canon because at that time Canon image senors were better. Around the time when Nikon release the D3 and later D90, things are turning around (only based on sensor). If you are still only focus on sensor technology, there is a chance that once you switch to Nikon, you may want to switch to another one such as Canon or Sony or .... in the future.

Of course, if most of the photos really need the wider dynamic range and you need it right now, then switching make sense. Otherwise, it is your money. :)

For every fabulous photograph taken with a Nikon I can show you one taken with a Canon. For every fabulous photograph taken with a Canon I can show you one taken with a Nikon.
Just wondering if there are any Nikon users out there who would trade a similar Nikon outfit for that Canon outfit?

Just wondering if there are any Nikon users out there who would trade a similar Nikon outfit for that Canon outfit?
not me.

For most of us, upgrading to slightly 'better' equipment will not significantly improve our images. Granted, Nikon is presently making superior sensors to Canon but ... (the big but) ... those differences, (again, for most of us), are not significant enough to elevate our images to a higher level of success.

If you shot an image with your Canon and if you took an identical shot with Nikon (same settings) ... do you actually think the Nikon image will be significantly more successful than the Canon image? For most of us ... do you actually think the little extra dynamic range or the slightly less high ISO noise will make an unsuccessful image ... successful?

What will make a difference between shooting successful images and unsuccessful images ... and equally importantly ... what will make a difference in increasing one's keeper rate/increasing one's consistency in capturing the exceptional image, is time behind the viewfinder and harmonizing with your equipment.

Both are much more important than gear. Granted, new gear is a lot more fun ... more sexy ... and the gear manufacturers advertise that new gear opens unlimited photographic possibilities and unleashes your creativity to the level where every image you will capture says "Pro" all over it. Some gear will generate significantly better and rise one's keeper rate. As an example, in the hands of a skilled and experienced photog, moving from ... say a 70-200 F/4 to a 70-200 F/2.8 will capture significantly better images in low light and shallow DOF. But moving from a 70-200 F/4 Canon to a 70-200 F/4 Nikon will not generate any better images.

Harmonizing is extremely important for consistency. Using the equipment to the point where you can manipulate the camera semi automatically or automatically ... when the camera is an extension of your hands and the lens an extension of your eyes will significantly improve your image far greater than a slight increase in DR or noise, et al.

In summary, improving the image esthetics (image impact) will increase the success over slightly better image quality (techie part).

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back