What's new

Plate, Spoon and Fork

AgentDrex

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jan 27, 2008
Messages
2,837
Reaction score
405
Location
Bemidji, Minnesota, USA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I thought I would try my hand at plate and silverware photography that seems to be all the rage with kids nowadays (what do you mean "no, no it's not"?). I attempted a composition by pointing the handles at the corners of the frame:

316973_198947486913563_942916485_n.jpg


I don't have current access to nice, shiny new silverware.
 
Last edited:
Nice i like it, where is the plate though? lol j/k
 
Fork and Spoon....can only mean one thing... Spag Bol :)
 
If the food hadn't been screaming, "EAT ME!!!", I would have focus-stacked this (that's my excuse and I'm stickin' to it).​
 
Omg forget the photo, look at that foodzzzzzz. :greenpbl:
 
Not loving it. At first I thought it was the murkiness on the right side, but I don't think that's it. It's the casual placement of the silverware. They's just hucked onto there, creating lines that go no place,

Without the silverware you have a white-on-white study in reflections. Could be artsy crap, could be kind of nice, sort of an eye of the beholder thing.

Pay more attention to geometry when you put the silverware on there. I think this sort of thing succeeds when it feels like a formal study, rather than a plate with some silverware tossed on it. If you're going for casual true-to-life still life, then why all the white? If you're going for formal and clean, why is the silverware random?
 
Thank you for your insight amolitor. The composition I attempted was one where the ends of the silverware were pointed to the corners of the frame so it makes a half-arsed triangle. Is there anything you can think of I could try to shoot for when I practice something like this again? Thank you in advance for any assistance.
 
To be honest, I don't know. I did spend some time mulling over how the silverware could be more pleasingly placed. "More formal" is what comes to mind, but all I can think of in concrete terms is either:

- advance the fork along it's own line (i.e. "southwest") until the central line of the spoon intersects the fork.. perhaps where the tines touch the plate?
- more the fork directly up (i.e. "north") until it lies symmetrically with the spoon

I'm not sure if either would work, but I think they would look "more formal" or "more deliberate" somehow?
 
Thank you! I will keep that in mind as I set up future shots.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom