Playin with self portraits

Pallycow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Playing with self portraits tonight, wanted to see if I could go soft light, harsh shadows on a black and white and see how it worked out.

Thoughts?

8212295199_420787ef86_c.jpg

Thanks. :) Kinda like this one...actually nailed focus on my right eye...which is kinda hard having to move around back n forth, lol. Not b&w, but fits the self port theme. Wish I woulda fixed my crazy eyebrows though...lolol.

8212354203_6b6b031cfc_h.jpg

You mention focus, and in the first the focus is on the stubble rather than eyes. Processing/light is nice, though.

In the second, you nailed it!

And don't talk to me about eyebrows! You should see mine - like a pair of hairy caterpillars mating on my forehead!

one light, honeycomb, above camera close by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

Playing with self portraits tonight, wanted to see if I could go soft light, harsh shadows on a black and white and see how it worked out.

Thoughts?

8212295199_420787ef86_c.jpg
Seems rather muddy to me, without true blacks, whites, and mostly just the mid-tones present. Focus is suffering more than necessary because of it, I think.

Here's a little variation on it:

Pallycow_self_BW_enhanced_by_Buckster.jpg

I reset the black and white points, saved it out as a layer, then opened up the mids for the eyes, saved that as another layer, then used a mask to bring them together, and sharpened a little.

buckster, it was supposed to have that muddy washed out look...aging it a bit. I like your edit as well...I did 4 or 5 of them in b&w...all a bit different.

bend the light, yeah, I was talking about the second photo.....missed on the first, obviously...lol. dude...you know you can trim eyebrows right? lol

buckster, it was supposed to have that muddy washed out look...aging it a bit.
Ahhh..., okay. In that case, my thoughts are that I don't think it really works well - at least, not for me, personally. No offence, just not my cup of tea, I suppose, though others may find it quite pleasing. The main thing is that you've achieved your vision and like it. :thumbup::)

I like your edit as well...
Thanks.

I did 4 or 5 of them in b&w...all a bit different.
Nice. It'd be interesting to see them and read your thoughts on how this one won out as the one to go with.

it wasn't so much as "the one to go with" I don't just post my "winners" on here...kinda post random and different to see if there is anything to them.

Most reactions

Back