Playing around with back button focus...

TamiAz

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I read up on bbf and I thought I would give it a shot. It's a little awkward, but I'm going to give it some time. I took both of these pictures and yes, they are at f/1.8. I wanted them at 1.8 to see if I could get them in focus. I think I did pretty good. C&C welcome.

Forgot to mention that I did use bounced flash on both of these.

1)
6736233969_cb0521b5df_b.jpg

2)
6736233735_6cab23b89c_b.jpg

Last edited:
#1.. focus is good on the eyes.. for 1.8, very nice!

#2 focus is dead on the right side of the glasses / book.. so looking good! :)

exposure is fine also! Way to go! :)

#1.. focus is good on the eyes.. for 1.8, very nice!

#2 focus is dead on the right side of the glasses / book.. so looking good! :)

exposure is fine also! Way to go! :)

:smileys:

Thank you!!

I think you did nail the focus.

I'm curious though, did you do anything in PP to make the bokeh look like it does? THe bokeh of the books in the background drew my attention in a bad way. I didn't notice in the dog until after looking at the books.

The dog pic held my attention at his eyes. I really liked that one.

I think you did nail the focus.

I'm curious though, did you do anything in PP to make the bokeh look like it does? THe bokeh of the books in the background drew my attention in a bad way. I didn't notice in the dog until after looking at the books.

The dog pic held my attention at his eyes. I really liked that one.

Thanks for the feedback...I didn't do anything in pp other than sharpen and give a little boost to the pic. I had three books stacked behind the open book and glasses. What do you think could have caused that???

What caused it is the nature of how the lens renders backgrounds and out of focus details. That specific effect is likely just the result of those detailed books at that specific distance. Some lenses render out of focus areas far better than others and often one can spend a small fortune on a lens that isn't any sharper, but which renders a nicer background.

What caused it is the nature of how the lens renders backgrounds and out of focus details. That specific effect is likely just the result of those detailed books at that specific distance. Some lenses render out of focus areas far better than others and often one can spend a small fortune on a lens that isn't any sharper, but which renders a nicer background.

Interesting.... Next time, I'll pay attention to the background and play with the distance to see how it changes the look. Thanks!!

I'd bet the sharpening made the OOF area like that.

This might be a stupid question, I can't find the answer in the manual. How do you use the back button focus?

Thanks,
Melissa

This might be a stupid question, I can't find the answer in the manual. How do you use the back button focus?

Thanks,
Melissa

What camera do you have? That's the most important part.

mdsnyderjr said:
Nikon D5100

Go into the cameras menu and look for the option the set up the ae-l/af-l button. Set it to af-on.

Most reactions

Back