Playing at the beach

Desi

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Went to the beach near San Simeon, Ca in search of Elephant Seals. I didn't find any....bummer....but found these little guys to play with.

Anyone know what these are?

The barnacle ball was actually hollow, as it had grown around a bulb of kelp.

C&C welcome

Desi

Playing at the beach by Desi595, on Flickr

Nice shot, Desi! Crustacean King of the Mountain... lol!!

Absolutely love this shot!!!

Can you please tell us what camera and lens you used for this shot ?

Thanks everyone for your comments. I'm so glad you are liking this shot. I often do silly, playful shots with my kid's safari animal toys, so I couldn't resist when I found these guys at the beach. There was wonderfully dark and large granular sand for the background.....different from the sand in Los Angeles.

Goodguy: I used a D800, ISO 200. I had a 70-200 mm lens with a 2x teleconverter, shot at 400mm, f8, 1/500.

Nancy: I don't have a macro set-up (got stolen), but I've been using this set-up for pseudomacros...........I just get up as close at possible, right on the edge of the minimum focus for my lens, which gives a macro-like thin DOF, then play with aperture for fine tuning.

Cool. A light wire size #2 Eagle Claw baitholder sliced shank, down-turned eye fishing hook and a small 3/4 ounce sliding egg sinker ring....yeah baby, those little dudes oughtta' be great bait for surf perch!!!

Goodguy: I used a D800, ISO 200. I had a 70-200 mm lens with a 2x teleconverter, shot at 400mm, f8, 1/500.
Amazing camera with amazing lens and most of all what's between your ears to make it all work :)

Look like amphipods to me. They are a small crustacean, related to lobsters, crabs, etc. Commonly called sand fleas. From the class "malocostraca"

OH! And nice photo!

Regards,
Jake

Most reactions

Back