Playing in the snow...

I don't know a thing about football, but I do know that is a fantastic shot! I agree about the square crop taking it to the next level.

Nice shot and agree with comments above.

Thanks,
My thoughts behind the crop was based on what my editor wants, for newspaper format, and the lay out that I know the sports writer uses on his page, but I don't need to get stuck in that thinking.

Another concern that I had with taking out the horizon was that the viewer would lose orientation and their eye might drift off of the top of the page looking for the horizon.

Though without the dark at he bottom and top of the page, the subject might be hold the viewers attention more...

SH NOSSA 19Nov14 ap BWcr 2858 by lizheaemma, on Flickr

Great shot of them. I agree, too much background (edge of what's beyond the snow) and too much foreground (snow/not much color or anything to look at) so I agree I'd crop, not necessarily square, I'd probably leave some space in the bottom of the frame for them to be moving into as they're coming forward. I'd crop to whatever sized is needed; from what I know of sports photography it's necessary to provide whatever is being requested/needed.

I'd adjust contrast, looks gray instead of B&W. Do you print your own to do a test print and see how it will look? I find it often looks the same onscreen and in print, but sometimes I need to adjust brightness.

I edited it with newsprint in mind... I get stuck in a way of thinking, I don't print a lot of stuff. Here I made it more contrasty...
SH NOSSA 19Nov14 ap BWcr* 2858.jpg

nice photo either way. I actually couldn't tell much difference between before and after your crop and I think the reason why is as I scrolled the photo down on the screen I was naturally cutting off the top anyway just by natural inclination when scrolling. so I guess you wouldn't need the top. lol

Most reactions

Back