Playing w/ Product & Pet Photography - C & C welcome

Lazy Photographer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
lazyphotographer.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I should probably qualify this by saying that I have no proper lighting equipment and am shooting with a little p & s camera. The mugs were shot on my kitchen countertop with a homemade backdrop. I combined under-cabinet lighting with a table lamp to light the shot. Camera was on a tripod.

C-CUP2-45-EDIT.jpg

C-CUP2-01-EDIT.jpg

Pug-09-EDIT.jpg

The mugs aren't bad, but you need to work on eliminating the shadows.

The dog one is pretty awful, to be brutally honest. The lighting (I'm guessing on-camera flash) is very flash and harsh, there are ugly shadows on the wall behind the dog, and those 'popup flash eyes' are terrible. Also, the white hoodie is totally blown out.

No seriously... don't hold back... :)

The flash isn't even a pop up! It's the tiny one on the camera. =:-o Yeah, it's hard to get it right without the gear. Thanks for being honest about the doggy shot. I won't tell him, though. ;)

i agree with fokker you need to get rid of the shadows in the product shots, if you haev a look at pro product shots there are usually no shadows, and sometimes even a reflection in front of the product

as for he pet shot..... yeah.. the eyes look terrible,

and personally i think the shot could do with a tighter crop, bit too much room down the bottom, and even a bit at the top, me thinks

Although the lighting seems bad for the dog picture, I think it has great potential with a few little fix.

Someone already mentioned the shadows, but also look at the flash reflection on the mugs. Try bouncing off a white cloth above the mugs. Better yet, for small items like these use a soft box. You can make one for cheap.

Thanks. I actually didn't use flash in the mug shots. I had an office table lamp (you know, with those harsh halogen bulbs). None the less, it gives the impression of a flash. I was trying to create white light around the mugs. I think a lightbox is the answer. Someone on another thread posted a link to how to make one easily and cheaply.

In the mug photos, it seems like you have different light sources with different temperature. And that mess up the white balance. (Being warm on the mug and cold in part of the background).

And the warmer lights seem to be a little harsh. It'd be better if the lights were diffused. You can try it again with the DYI light box.

Like this one
Strobist: How To: DIY $10 Macro Photo Studio

if/when you reshoot the dog take the collar off.

I think they're actually pretty good attempts, although I don't know anything about product photography. The dog made me laugh. PP the eyes though.

I purposely left the eyes alone because it makes him look like a frikkin alien and adds to the comical expression.

A big thanks to everyone who offered comments and opinions, especially the critiques.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back