playing with the shutter speed on the beach C&C

newatdslr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was playing with the shutter speed to get the soft look on the beach ,,good,bad or horrible ?

Attachments

• $DSC_0082.jpg
    $DSC_0082.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 151
  • $DSC_0064a.jpg
    $DSC_0064a.jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 151
  • $DSC_0089a.jpg
    $DSC_0089a.jpg
    378.3 KB · Views: 131
Sorry i messed up , the lady isn't supposed to be in this thread , I meant to make another for her , But since she is here , I need to learn Photoshop so i can get rid of the stick coming out of her left foot , What else looks wrong ? I thought this would be candid , as i did not ask her to pose she was just checking her text messages

If you are after the silky appearance of moving water in the first shot then you've two key problems with your example

1) Blur - not only has the shutter speed blurred the moving water, but its also blurred the details in the still sections through the natural shake of your body (I'm assuming handheld shot). You need a good tripod or something to stand the camera upon - keep it perfectly stable so that you get the creamy blur of moving parts, but don't end up blurring your still parts. Using a remote and mirror lock up also helps reduce shake on the camera

2) Light - if you look at the sky its white, its overexposing greatly because you're dragging the shutter longer. You need to consider using a smaller aperture and a low ISO to preseve the exposure. However you can only use around f13/f16ish before diffraction starts to soften the details in your photo no matter what you do (its an optical limitation). Thus you might need to consider shooting earlier/later in the day (nearer the golden hours before/after sunset/rise) when there is less light and when it is naturally softer - thus when you leave the shutter open longer you won't get overexposed parts of the shot

Oops I read your way to post pics in your sig Sorry I will list the settings from now on Those pics where taken with a Nikon D3100 55-200MM VR lens Manual mode I believe i had the WB set at bright sunlight

Most reactions

New Topics

Back