Playtime with Noah (Seeking critique)

Toph112

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
New to photography (7 months in). Looking for critique. This is my first fully manual shot outside. Took my camera on a quick outing around the neighborhood with my son. Thank you for your time and view!
Noah on Bike for Photo Forum.jpg
Noah Run for Photo Forum.jpg
Noah on Bike for Photo Forum.jpg Noah Run for Photo Forum.jpg
Noah on Bike for Photo Forum.jpg
Noah Run for Photo Forum.jpg

I think you done good. I like the bright lighting and the use of DoF (depth of field) ... AND you got down to his level! :)

He and the bike seem to be good color and sharpness, and I like that you caught an expression, the way his face (and the tongue sticking out a little!) show how intent he seems on what he's doing.

I would suggest you think about backgrounds, and think about your vantage points and how that changes the perspective and how the background changes. Think about if you want all those signs and fire hydrant etc. or not, maybe frame differently to not have so much of that since it doesn't really add to the picture.

Think about the other person, either she should be in the frame and part of the picture instead of blurry in the distance, or keep her out of the frame (for this shot). If you want her in a picture, try to get her when he's closer to her and use a small enough aperture to get them both in focus.

Personally I'd straighten them. He's leaning several degrees to the left in the one with the tricycle.

Could use fill flash.

If you like to shoot in manual, set the flash output manually as well. :bek113:

Personally I'd straighten them. He's leaning several degrees to the left in the one with the tricycle.

This was my initial impression as well. The tilt on the tricycle picture is distracting. Makes me lean in my chair!

Good job to be out there using full manual settings. They might be just a smidge over exposed (there's a "flat" feeling to his face).

I'm guessing this dude has a great cheesy smile. Trying getting some face only portrait shoots of this goofball when you have him giggling. Bet his natural smile really lights up the room

Most reactions

Back