PLEASE critique my portfolio!!

Degrassi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
aaaand back again -

Hey there! My name is Dana this is my first post, although I've been lurking for a while now.

I'm taking a huge leap and applying to photography school. They're asking for a portfolio, and although I love to take pictures, I really have no idea what I'm doing. Or how to put together a portfolio, really. So I'm looking for some feedback from the pros.

I don't even know which 10 - 14 of these I should use. Which ones are the strongest? Weakest? Which combo would work best for a school application? I know I don't have the most talent yet, but be as harsh as neccesary!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/danamania - click on portfolio!

1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 10. 11. 12. 13. 14.

Thanks so much

overeager bump!

one more try

You have some nice pictures. There are a few I wouldn't use for a portfolio.
1. Motorcycle
2. Big Bird
3. Last one with the trees bent over the building

You have a nice sense of composition. I think you should consider getting a circular polarizer for your landscape shots.

Welcome to the Forum!

I think the strongest two are the Butterfly and Ostrich! Close ups are your specialty! I would recommend using more photos like those (different animals though) in your portfolio.

Thanks for the feedback so far!

Digital flower - Thanks tons... can I ask why not those?
John W - The ostrich was a complete fluke, it actually bit my camera!

Anyone else - things to include or leave off?

Digital flower - Thanks tons... can I ask why not those?

These are just my personal observations. On the Motorcycle I don't think you 'froze' the bike enough so a little too much is out of focus. On the picture of the trees I don't like the large structure in the background (or the way it intersects with the trees). Overall it is nice county scence but probably would have benefited from a few steps back or a wider lens. Seeing a little more of the trees would have been nice.

On the Ostrich picture you kind of answered the question with this:

John W - The ostrich was a complete fluke, it actually bit my camera!

That kind of makes it a snapshot and doesn't really show the people who will be looking at your portfolio any of your technical or compositional skills. Don't get me wrong it is a nice picture that made me laugh but it could be on anyone's trip to the zoo photo roll. That is compared to an image like your ship which seems to have been thought out and captured well.

All in all you have to be the one that picks out the pictures that you think show your best work.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back