Please help me buy a camera

I'd see if I could get a used Canon S90 for that much money. Faster lens for a point & shoot, bigger sensor than most point and shoots, and very portable. You might talk me out of mine for $150 if you are nice, since I have an Olympus XZ-1 on the way. The S90 is the original version of the S95 and S100. It doesn't have as much telephoto, it doesn't have hi definition video, and it doesn't have GPS built in. But the basic 28-105mm lens that is built-in is a great all around range.

If you're willing to carry something bigger, then a used, previous-generation digital SLR would be good. How much are Pentax K100Ds going for these days? That's what I have as my main SLR camera; I paid $600 new. I'm sure they're less than $200 for a clean used one now. You can get a good bright used lens for it too; the Pentax 50mm f/1.8 manual focus lenses are everywhere, and are quite good. (no, you can't talk me out of this camera, hehehe)

Welcome to the forum, Taylor, and I hope you stick around even after you buy your camera.

I am really DUMB when it comes to appliances and their technical stuff..
Then you need to stick to a basic, simple point and shoot camera pretty much like you already have.

There is no escaping the fact that doing photography well requires a good technical understanding of how photography is done. Quality photos result from photographer knowledge and skill. The equipment used has much less to do with it.

The fact you tell yourself you are "really DUMB when it comes to appliances and their technical stuff" is really just an excuse for not making the effort required to learn what you need to know, so it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Canon SX130is. This is the camera many of my friends who are on the same program here have bought. It is available on ebay at deals starting from 140 $. So, what you guys think will give better photos than my Kodak C180 EasyShare 10.2. Should I buy this camera as it lies within my price range.

There is no escaping the fact that doing photography well requires a good technical understanding of how photography is done. Quality photos result from photographer knowledge and skill. The equipment used has much less to do with it.

The fact you tell yourself you are "really DUMB when it comes to appliances and their technical stuff" is really just an excuse for not making the effort required to learn what you need to know, so it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.
@KmH

So after I have bought a camera, can you suggest me some online sources where I can learn some basics of photography that could help me in taking better personal photos. I am not interested in learning professional photography during four months stay over here as I have already much to do. So, from where should I start?

If you have the money to spend on a camera for just a 4 month visit, maybe a Canon S95 or a G12 perhaps? Are you looking for "photographic" type pictures, or just pictures so you can show your friends back in your country who say "Pics or it didnt happen!"? hehe

Most reactions

Back