please recommend affordable filters for noob

guitar guy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am interested in doing landscape photography and I've read that a polarizing filter and a Graduated ND filter are almost essentials. Are there any filters in the sub $200 range that would be decent to start out with?

My lenses are:

Sigma 10-22mm
D3000 kit lens (18-55mm)
Nikon VR 55-200mm

CPLs (circular polarizer) run in the $50-$75 for Hoya.

I'd suggest you look on Amazon or B&H for the filter sizes you need, the Sigma might be a different size than the Nikkors.

Tiffen and Hoya both make decent consumer-grade filters, just make sure you spend the little extra and the multi-coated type.

Here's a thought, do not get a screw on grad nd filter. I would recommend searching ebay and photo forum classified ads for used plate type filters. If you're on a tight budget get the Cokin P filter holder, they're cheap and readily available used or new. the plates from cokin are cheap and when you are ready to upgrade you can get Singh Ray plates for about $100 each. With the screw on grad nd filters you cannot adjust the blend line placement of the filter, this will limit you compositionally.

I would recommend searching ebay and photo forum classified ads for used plate type filters.

Is that the rectangular shaped filter? I have a Scott Kelby DVD where he just holds a rectangular grad ND filter in front of his lens (he says they make holders but it's way too much bother) which is what I think I'd like to do.

I would recommend searching ebay and photo forum classified ads for used plate type filters.

Is that the rectangular shaped filter? I have a Scott Kelby DVD where he just holds a rectangular grad ND filter in front of his lens (he says they make holders but it's way too much bother) which is what I think I'd like to do.
If you've seen Kelby's belly lately you'd no he can't be bothered with a lot of things. ;)
Yes, the rectangular plates are what I am talking about. While hand holding may work in bright daylight, if you're trying to get a long exposure you won't be able to hold the plate still for the entire exposure. Also, to handhold without fear of getting your fingers in the shot you need the 4x6 plates which are quite a bit more expensive. If you're going to be working with filters, you're going to be taking your time, so a few more seconds setting up to get the right shot shouldn't matter. :D
Check out the Singh Ray blog Focus on Singh-Ray Filters , you'll get plenty of info and inspiration. Also, if you call during the day you can often talk to Bob himself. :thumbup:

I am interested in doing landscape photography and I've read that a polarizing filter and a Graduated ND filter are almost essentials. Are there any filters in the sub $200 range that would be decent to start out with?

My lenses are:

Sigma 10-22mm
D3000 kit lens (18-55mm)
Nikon VR 55-200mm

You don't need anywhere near the $200 range. Get the cheap ones and try to prove to yourself that they are unworthy. I took photos of my white car with the ultra cheap china rectangular ND filters to prove to a forum poster that they did not cause a noticeable color shift. Of course no amount of visual proof could convince him.
I think that people that spend fortunes on a piece if equipment like a filter then spend the rest of their life convincing themselves that it was required. Admitting that a cheap one is adequate is the same as saying boy was I suckered out of a large sum - we can't do that now can we.

Get the cheap ones and try to prove to yourself that they are unworthy. I use what ever I can get and have yet to find one no matter the brand or price that had to be rejected. Of course the expensive ones under an electron microscope color spectrometer blah blag blah are proven superior... blah blah...

You think that cheap filters cause image degradation to be concerned about? I think not for 99.9% of photographers = Dirty lens article

Most reactions

Back