Please, Sir! Would you have an extra peanut to spare?

Way back at some time in the mid 80's there was a significant hurricane that made it up to Long Island where I was living at the time.
Power was out everywhere including the machine shop I was working at so I was stuck at home, bored out of my mind.
I was reading, laying in the sun on the living room floor with the door open and eating peanuts. I noticed a squirrel and started tossing it peanuts.
After only a couple of days, I had it coming into the living room and taking them from my hand.
Are there squirrels in Belize where you live? Which reminds me of a true story. I flew from Ft. Lauderdale Florida where I was visiting my father many years ago. I stuffed about $500 in the front pocket of my jeans that I then foolishly put it in my suitcase and checked it as baggage on the jet home to NYC. When I arrive in LaGuardia Airport in Queens, NY, the bag was lost.

The next day I got a call from the airlines that they found it and I drove to the airport to pick it up. WHen they handed it over to me it had an airport tag on it for Belize rather than LaGuardia. The bag was newly wrapped with a cord to hold it together. But amazingly, when I opened it up, the $500 was still stuffed in the jean's pocket. I thought I hit the lottery. :icon_king: The bag and the money had travelled to Belize and then up to NYC.

Great catch! He does look like he is begging.

Are there squirrels in Belize where you live? Which reminds me of a true story. I flew from Ft. Lauderdale Florida where I was visiting my father many years ago. I stuffed about $500 in the front pocket of my jeans that I then foolishly put it in my suitcase and checked it as baggage on the jet home to NYC. When I arrive in LaGuardia Airport in Queens, NY, the bag was lost.

The next day I got a call from the airlines that they found it and I drove to the airport to pick it up. WHen they handed it over to me it had an airport tag on it for Belize rather than LaGuardia. The bag was newly wrapped with a cord to hold it together. But amazingly, when I opened it up, the $500 was still stuffed in the jean's pocket. I thought I hit the lottery. :icon_king: The bag and the money had travelled to Belize and then up to NYC.

That's a neat story with a happy ending!

My wife and I really enjoyed interacting with the squirrels at our old house in NY. We gave some names and, one year, we even bought a huge bag of peanuts and put the whole thing outside for the squirrels for Christmas.

Unfortunately I've only seen a grand total of 3 squirrels since we have arrived. We have seen troupes of coatimundis and I know they can be tamed but we'll see if we can get them as regular visitors.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back