Pocket Wizard Flex TT5 and Mini TT1.

anthonymunoz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've read tons of stuff about these radios being terrible, but it seems like most of the complaints are from before the most recent firmware updates. I'm getting ready to take my chances tomorrow and buy the Mini and Flex, but wanted to see how these are working with the updates. Anyone have any advice?

I'll be using a Canon 5D Mark II and a 580EX to start with. I'll mostly be using in studio with manual flashes, but I'd like the ability to use TTL on location shoots on occasion.

Thanks.

I've read tons of stuff about these radios being terrible, but it seems like most of the complaints are from before the most recent firmware updates. I'm getting ready to take my chances tomorrow and buy the Mini and Flex, but wanted to see how these are working with the updates. Anyone have any advice?

I'll be using a Canon 5D Mark II and a 580EX to start with. I'll mostly be using in studio with manual flashes, but I'd like the ability to use TTL on location shoots on occasion.

Thanks.

Go for it!

Make sure you check into the situation with using them with Canon flashes; the 580 EX-II has had some serious radio frequency interference problems with some of the newer Pocket Wizard products--at the price point, you want to make sure you're getting good distance trigger capabilities, right?

Distance and reliability is one thing with cheap eBay triggers and quite another thing entirely when you're paying $300 for a triggering setup that might,or might not have the range you need. The *original* Pocket Wizard setups allow me to trigger flashes or cameras from over 1,000 feet away,every time...that's the only reason to pay for the Pocket Wizard name and price.

EDIT: Here's what I mean....
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/general-gallery/179477-flex-tt5-test-shots.html

Camz is reporting a 35 foot limit with this system! I have a 15 year old RMI system that works out to 400 feet,and I payed $115 for it five years ago.

Flickr: Discussing beta firmware news/info? in Pocket Wizards

Flickr: Discussing TT1 + Plus II or TT5's with 580EX? in Pocket Wizards
One user reports reliability to 75 feet, and beyond that, "I get nothing" he writes.

PocketWizard Flex TT5 Mini TT1 vs. RadioPopper PX Video Review « TriCoast Photography | Wedding and Senior Portrait Artists
PocketWizard Flex TT5 Mini TT1 vs. RadioPopper PX Video Review
Video tests, in eight parts, reporting a 40-60 foot range for the PocketWizard, and 600 feet plus for the Radio Popper. Six hundred feet!

Last edited:
Yep Derrel is right. But you read my thread and review about it since I saw you post. It's the distance that suffers with these new Flex TT5's. But the TTL feature for it is great.

I just downloaded the new firmware and instead of getting reliable triggers >35 feet, I'm getting reliable triggers at >~50 feet. What I haven't measured is the triggering capability distance of the Flex and the Plus II combination which I should've during my last shoot.

If these meet your criteria they are great!

Edit: To add and make sure you know..I have 5 other PW Plus II and deeply invested in Pocket Wizard that's why I went and got the Flex TT5's.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back