Point and Shoot Portrait question

TobascoJackson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
naturesmugshots.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm shooting the pictures for my group at the upcoming dance. We have open shade lighting outside (we're shooting at someone's house), but the group is more than 30 people, and I have to crank up my flash to use it as a fill light. Unfortunately, this creates some harsh face shadows. How can I best diffuse my flash? It's just built into the camera body.

I'm shooting the pictures for my group at the upcoming dance. We have open shade lighting outside (we're shooting at someone's house), but the group is more than 30 people, and I have to crank up my flash to use it as a fill light. Unfortunately, this creates some harsh face shadows. How can I best diffuse my flash? It's just built into the camera body.

Honestly I think you'd be better off not using the flash at all. The flash on your camera is never going to give you really nice light, even if diffused. It would be quite hard to diffuse, and even if you could light that's coming from the same place as the lens isn't going to look fantastic.

I'd say just shoot in the shade against a dark background and expose for the people faces. You shouldn't need a fill, I don't think. Also, see if you can shoot near sunset when the sun's lower in the sky as it'll give you nicer light and you might even be able to have it directly on the group's faces.

Probably either use another light if you can, or if you have no other choice but still really need the fill light, I'd put 2-3 layers of Scotch Tape over the flash.

I did just exactly this with this shot, which was done with a point-and-shoot:

017buyepongo.jpg

Most reactions

Back