Polaroid SX-70 problem

skd80

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi! I newbie in photography, buy on ebay Polaroid SX-70 camera, but camera dont work.
Dont ejecting film after i push the button, but when I insert fresh pack of film from impossible camera always ejecting first dark protection film.
When I push button camera make a sound ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqy6yuQWyoM&feature=youtu.be) and dont ejecting film. Objective dark becouse shutter is closed. When reinstall film pack, shutter are open. Tell me, can I repair this problem?
Thx.

Could just be dirty rollers. Here is a good video on the SX-70......

Last edited by a moderator:
Webestang64, thanks for answer, check the rollers, they are clean. From experiments found, that camera make a shoot, when exposure maximum open & objectiv look on the light source, but when exposure in the middle posotion or closed and light are low, camera dont wont make a shoot. Problem with light sensor?

Webestang64, thanks for answer, check the rollers, they are clean. From experiments found, that camera make a shoot, when exposure maximum open & objectiv look on the light source, but when exposure in the middle posotion or closed and light are low, camera dont wont make a shoot. Problem with light sensor?

Could be the sensor....I'm not sure how to test that.

I think I get what you mean - in low light the SX70 doesn't release the shutter until its meter reads that the camera has gotten enough light. Mine does that in low light, it starts to shoot and then pauses while it's taking in light and you have to hold still and wait... then it releases and finishes firing and and out comes a (maybe blurry) photo! - unless you're really steady holding the camera long enough.

If it's doing that you might need to use a flash or try adjusting the setting (wheel) on the camera to let in more light. I don't find that I can use mine and get good results in low light, but it does great outdoors in daylight.

The battery is in the film pack so if the black protective slide comes out then it would seem that the camera is probably working. I'd try using it outdoors on a sunny day and see what it does. If it still isn't working then I'd wonder if it maybe isn't reading the amount of light properly.

The Impossible Project sells a flash for the SX70. I've bought and used old/vintage flashbars and those work fine, you just need to get the right flashbar for that camera. You could try looking at Film Photography Project | An Internet Radio Show & On-Line Resource for Film Shooters Worldwide , I can't remember if they have anything about the SX70 or not.

There's a video that was done by Charles and Ray Eames when the camera was fairly new, it shows the camera in action and might help you see how the camera was designed to be used - if you search on YouTube you'd probably find it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back